Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Good morning everyone! How's everyone doing today! It's finally Friday even though I thought this was a fast week. Super excited to get the ducks out this weekend even though it's gonna be rainy and muddy :/

Today I have the shelter and then I go home and enjoy my weekend. I know I'm excited to start my new book I just got.

Maybe chokeberries? I think that whatever those shrubs are, it's a nice mature hedge, wild birds will eat the fruit, and probably nothing to worry about. You won't be picking that fruit and feeding buckets of it to your birds, and free ranging chickens are pretty good at avoiding toxic plants.
When it leafs out, take a couple of branches, including fruit, to your local nursery or an arborist. It should be easier to ID then.
Mary

Good morning everyone! How's everyone doing today! It's finally Friday even though I thought this was a fast week. Super excited to get the ducks out this weekend even though it's gonna be rainy and muddy :/

Today I have the shelter and then I go home and enjoy my weekend. I know I'm excited to start my new book I just got.
What ya got for reading?

Nothing like an L3830 Kubota with a 6 foot blower for clearing snow. But my drive is 200 feet long, and usually we get more snow than you southerners.

When using a blower on a gravel drive, don't plow the first few snowfalls - instead drive on the snow and pack it down into a dense layer. That seals the gravel and keeps it from getting into the machinery.

Do you people not open your windows?
It was nice and cool out last night, had to pull up the quilt.
My bed is right under a window.

That's where I got my last dog. All 3 were 'rescued' but only one from SPCA.

But is your coop?
I section off part of coop to brood and integrate early.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/
This group went out yesterday, they're 1-2wo.
View attachment 2606590
Yes...the coop is big enough for 16 full size and can be expanded to 24 birds if I take the partition out and move the nesting boxes to the wall. I was taught early on f to build bigger that chicken math real :gig

as for the open window at night...nope, I’m like @Dreamzchaser....need it chilly and the outside temps aren’t cold enough to drop the temp inside and neither does night sweats:hit:mad:

I do what I can!!!

Partition Run Awning Done.
Will need some more screws and tweaks, but seems pretty solid.
Can't wait for the big rain tomorrow afternoon to see how it works.
1618003975482.png

Good job. If you mounted a little perch alongside it, up under the overhang, your birds will sit out there in the rain.
Thanks!
The whole purpose of the awning is to protect the run area under the coop, the ramp that has not been reinstalled yet, and the pop door from the drip line off the eave above(not pictured).
There will be no perch under there...and I'm hoping they don't try to perch on the roof brackets.

Chokeberries!! I choked just by reading its name, 🤪
Chickens will not be in the front because I am thinking of fencing from the house to the sides. But was more worried about my silly dog that she might try some of it, since she eats my blueberries and raspberries.

Yes they do provide some privacy I guess whenever they bloom. I love the idea of taking a branch to the local nursery to ID it.

So proud of my girls. They are adorable. I don't think I will be able to eat them in 2 years. They have captivated my heart. I took pictures like a new mom. They are so big now.

Nothing like an L3830 Kubota with a 6 foot blower for clearing snow. But my drive is 200 feet long, and usually we get more snow than you southerners.

When using a blower on a gravel drive, don't plow the first few snowfalls - instead drive on the snow and pack it down into a dense layer. That seals the gravel and keeps it from getting into the machinery.
I just got to buy the snow plow for a lawn mower the old owner left me. My driveway is concrete and it is about 50 to 60ft from the road to the garage door. I have to save money for that one because it will cost me dearly, :th
lawnmower.jpg

Back
Top Bottom