Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

ok. I gave her a soak/bath with warm water and dawn. however, was not able to trim lower butt feathers because they were wet. She loved the hair dryer. She is pretty dry and was able to trim. Of course she is in my lap now with a face mask as a diaoer. It is not red, nothing else comes out. put some terbinafine antifungal cream. I touched her everywhere and no lump in her bottompart of her body nor near the vent nor in top of her tail where her ovaries are supposed to be.

I found this. But iot does not say for how long should I keep her away. I am also leaning on the water. They are finally drinking water from the well instead of bottled water to save me some money. I am ghoing back to bottled water. This are my babies.

Riss, it really sounds like you are not in a position to take those dogs right now. Also if you are in a very small house two big dogs might crowd things up quite a bit. If they find another home while you are working towards your goals, that would be great, and if they are still available when you are ready for them then you could consider whether you wanted to get one or both.
Two huskies will be triple trouble, at least! And you aren't ready for them, and in a tiny house? Later, maybe, just not now!
Mary
Well my dad wants one of them. The thing with him is that he's not sure if the other animals will tolerate them. With me building my house it would be almost like a dog house for them cause I would be planning on really just having that as a room outside and sleeping out there.

Anyway long story short my dad is thinking about wanting to get them cause he knows I want them and that they will have a space outside he's just hesitant about our present animals tolerating them for a couple weeks. We got lots of land for them to run and the house we live in is about little over 3,000sqft. It'll just be iffy for a week or two cause my cat doesn't like other animals what so ever
Brothers from different litters? Or littermates? Have you had littermates before? Quite often littermates are harder to get oriented toward their people instead of each other. Maybe huskies more so? Aren't they pretty independent/l, maybe not people oriented anyway?
On the other hand, my heart breed is border collie so most breeds seem not very people oriented; my BC was more so than most, I think.
They are from the same litter. They seem to be like a husky/cattle dog mix just by some of their patterns. They are relatively calm which we thought was a shock for huskies but yeah they do their own thing. The one really likes me and the other one really likes my dad

Dreamz, have you thought about getting a water filter for your kitchen sink? It's a LOT cheaper than buying bottled water.

A few years ago, we splurged and got a reverse osmosis (RO) water filter. We had to pay a plumber to install it (DH hates plumbing and didn't want to try to do it himself--he knows his limits!), so it wasn't cheap. The replacement filters aren't cheap either, but ours has lasted many years. Way longer than the "change filter indicator light" suggested. I asked a professional how to really tell when the filter was shot, and he said that the indicator light is just a 6 month timer, so you buy more filters! It's time to change it when there is a significant drop in the flow, or you test it and get a high TDS (total dissolved solids) reading. I took him a sample, and he said it was totally fine, nowhere close to needing a replacement.

Dreamz, have you thought about getting a water filter for your kitchen sink? It's a LOT cheaper than buying bottled water.

A few years ago, we splurged and got a reverse osmosis (RO) water filter. We had to pay a plumber to install it (DH hates plumbing and didn't want to try to do it himself--he knows his limits!), so it wasn't cheap. The replacement filters aren't cheap either, but ours has lasted many years. Way longer than the "change filter indicator light" suggested. I asked a professional how to really tell when the filter was shot, and he said that the indicator light is just a 6 month timer, so you buy more filters! It's time to change it when there is a significant drop in the flow, or you test it and get a high TDS (total dissolved solids) reading. I took him a sample, and he said it was totally fine, nowhere close to needing a replacement.
I have but it will only solve the kitchen problem. What I need is a new well in another location to only see if the water is better. Trust me, I hate this more than anything not just of how expensive the water will come out to be but the plastic that I am putting into the environment.
However, soft rain charges about 3k to put a ion filter for the whole house. I will not have to clean the toilets twice a day with hard chemicals to remove the orange crap and should be able to cook with tap water and my hair will not become orange and full of split ends. But then I would not know how to deal with the water outside for the chickens. Water can be contained only for a small period of time before it looses its properties., so a drum will not be an option for now.

but the plastic that I am putting into the environment.
Recycle!
soft rain charges about 3k to put a ion filter for the whole house.
I paid $3K for an iron filter AND a water softener from Canfield in Lowell. The iron filter (Iron Guardian is the name) came from Bayes in Sparta. That was $1600.

Yes, it made a TON of difference! I don't regret the expense a bit.

Hi everyone! Good morning to all. I barely got up this morning. Phoebe was quiet all morning. Went outside and took all the containers and re-cleaned them with bleach. Added apple cider vinegar to their bottled water. They seem not to like it but there is no other water source outside that I am aware of unless it rains. Put very little dry feed outside in case they want some after foraging outside.
Phoebe, looked aweful last night after that dawn and warm water in the tub. I was not able to get pictures. She would not have appreciated either. But she enjoyed the hair drying part. She was like closing her eyes thinking, "wow, this is what a full spa feels like!" I did not had much fun because I had to sit by the office floor since the hair dryer will turn off after a while.
20210812_212120.jpg 20210812_212123.jpg 20210812_212513.jpg
But look at her this morning! She is so white, so white that I had forgotten how white she was,lol I already put some monistat back in and around her vent. Yes, all I had was a face mask and it became a vent mask for her.
20210813_082027.jpg 20210813_082038.jpg
For how long do I need to keep her away from the rest? Do I need to keep her completely away in the house or can I put her in the pen inside teh run so she can see the others and scratch the grown on her own?

Attachments

• 20210812_212509.jpg
    20210812_212509.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210812_212127.jpg
    20210812_212127.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 0

I concur @sallypb. I also have RO and agree it wasn’t cheap but the advantage is you always have it on demand…fewer bottles in the landfill and trips to grocery to buy water…and it in the long run, it is cheaper.
If that isn’t an option, you could consider upgrading your water softener. I know there are salts in the process of removing solids, but when mine was tested, it was negligible to the sodium found in water with “minerals”.
I guess in the meantime, there is an option at some groceries that allow you to fill large refillable bottles much cheaper than purchasing new.

water is our life blood. Good luck improving their source. I would have to say however…they eat their own poop and composted food…I’m not sure unfiltered water is going to matter much. Just a consideration…

Back
Top Bottom