Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I concur @sallypb. I also have RO and agree it wasn’t cheap but the advantage is you always have it on demand…fewer bottles in the landfill and trips to grocery to buy water…and it in the long run, it is cheaper.
If that isn’t an option, you could consider upgrading your water softener. I know there are salts in the process of removing solids, but when mine was tested, it was negligible to the sodium found in water with “minerals”.
I guess in the meantime, there is an option at some groceries that allow you to fill large refillable bottles much cheaper than purchasing new.

water is our life blood. Good luck improving their source. I would have to say however…they eat their own poop and composted food…I’m not sure unfiltered water is going to matter much. Just a consideration…
I hear you about the chickens Michelle. And in regards to upgrading my water softener, there is non here. Have not found anything anywhere around. :hit The water tested high in Sulfur and Iron here.

-or can I put her in the pen inside teh run so she can see the others and scratch the grown on her own?
If you put her in a dog crate (or other enclosure) so that she can see the others and they can see her, then she will still be "with the flock."
What about the outside water?

Our outside water spigot is just straight from the well. I don't drink it because we have a TON of iron in our water. I use it to water the garden. Or wash my car, should I ever again wash my car...

My birds are spoiled. They don't get RO water, but they do get nice tap water from the kitchen sink. I take out a fresh jug every day. I dump the old water and clean out the waterers with a rag.

This is the place that makes the iron filter we got installed. Shameless plug because I would use their product again anytime!

http://bayeswater.com/
616-887-9378
"We service all types of residential, commercial, and industrial water concerns in West Michigan: From the Lakeshore to the Grand Rapids area including surrounding counties and cities"

@Dreamzchaser this may not of any help to you since my well was dug a year ago and I am lucky to have very good water.

I have Culligan that installed my softener and that covers all the water receptacles except the outdoor stickets. I bought a 50 gallon rain barrel that I have not installed yet as I am trying to figure out how to keep it clean. Perhaps a fish filter?
Anyway….I refill my water containers presently in the house for the girls and do not use my RO water. It takes a bit more time, but it gives me an opportunity to clean their water containers in the work sink. I clean and refill them every 2 days for 9 birds.
Keep us posted on phoebe. These birds are tough…keep trying and don’t lose faith.

Chicken and horse water comes from an outside tap, strait from the well, high in iron and very hard. They drink it readily with no problems.

Dreamz, do you have a water softener? Mine was more expensive than a regular one due to the iron, but it works great to keep the pipes clean.

Also, while offering calcium on the side is a good idea, putting extra calcium in their regular feed is not just unnecessary, but not heathy, as that can unbalance the calcium to phosphorus ratio of their feed, which can lead to bone issues.

I got a good bounty at the local veg market. They let me rummage their veges that couldn’t be sold in their compost last night. Tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, squash, corn, peaches/plums, beets…the girls went nuts!!!

update on the littles….they are hanging out inside the coop now that I took then fence down. I feel bad that the bigs seem to keep them in there. I have a stump and a lawn chair in the run for them to run under but they keep their distance in the coop. I should keep my nose out of it right?

If you put her in a dog crate (or other enclosure) so that she can see the others and they can see her, then she will still be "with the flock."
So for how long should I leave her inside the house away? My hub told me that maybe we can completely enclose the others to a smaller space and enclosure a small one on the other side of teh coop just for Phoebe during the day but bring her inside at night. I need ideas.

She will in most cases be better with her flock. Even if she is segregated, she is still integrated which is better than complete isolation. Give her at least a few days of observation to determine if your course of action is helping her.
ok she is lonely in that room. I bring her out but the mask does not holds any poo and she pecks at it until she takes it off. So far is not oozing anything. Kind of red and little yellowish due to the cream that turns yellow as it is exposed to the air. She had a little water with apple cider vinegar but not much. Barely touched her feed. She did had a few oat flakes but not many. However, she has been very quiet compare at how vocal she usually is.

I have been checking the other girls and their vents seems normal. Just dirt everywhere because they are free ranging when I am home.
I will turn the temporary run for her and will close up the others under their coop. They will be able to kind of hear each other but will leave kind of like a hallway in between. I have to make sure Hub closes it pretty high. They might make a desesperate attempt to fly above anything. They have been together since week 1. Would this sounds ok? Aart, Raz, Michelle, Sally, Rose; please do not be silent on me. I have been crying like crazy for not knowing.

Not sure what your girl has, I don't know anything about vent gleet, if that's what her trouble is..
They all have dirty butts....is it muddy there or do they all have loosey poops??

I stick to plain water and a good chicken ration.
This is what I do when I have a bird that is acting 'off':
I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor:
-their intake of food and water,
-crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed),
-and their poops.
Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling.
Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Back
Top Bottom