Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I haven't posted in almost four years. It's nice to see familiar names are still around! I've only read back about a dozen pages so I'm not really caught up.
The brief history is four years ago I started doing wildlife rehabilitation and have stayed very busy. I have had the privilege of working with all species of birds. This year thanks to AI and the USDA's regs I am not taking in birds. Our state is very lacking when it comes to a response and testing. I have a biosecurity plan and separation of birds but if a wild bird tests positive any other wildlife/educational birds on the property get quarantine but domestics are euthanized whether they test positive or not. I'm not sure when things will change although they are learning both good and bad information on AI all the time. So I am going through bird withdrawl!
I have eggs in the incubator and I do have three Russian Orloffs eggs that should be hatching tomorrow. There were supposed to be Seramas as well but I think my roosters may be faulty. My flock has grown and besides the chickens, pigeons and guinea fowl I have Toulouse and peafowl. I also have educational birds - a Mourning Dove, Starling and Raven. We have also taken in another foster Parrot so I'm really not lacking in birds. The challenging thing this month has been trying to contain eveyone - they have always been free range and I have been attempting to pen them at least until migration is over. I think the geese have learned to open the gate. I hope to be able to keep up with all of you at least for a while.
I didn't realize there were ravens in Michigan.

DH and Freya made it home from their trip safely. He brought home some scrapple from Pittsburgh. I'm not a fan, so it's all for him. Freya will probably get a bite of it too.

If you don't know what scrapple is, here's the best description I can give. It's all the "leftover bits" from when they slaughter a pig, some lard, some spices and cornmeal. Press it into a one pound block (like when you buy butter, but in one piece) and wrap it airtight in plastic. You slice it about 1/4" thick, dredge it in flour, fry it in some grease.

DH's brother (who is also not a fan) calls it, "snouts and hooves." I've also heard it called, "everything but the squeal."

Have I sold you on this delicacy? :sick

DH and Freya made it home from their trip safely. He brought home some scrapple from Pittsburgh. I'm not a fan, so it's all for him. Freya will probably get a bite of it too.

If you don't know what scrapple is, here's the best description I can give. It's all the "leftover bits" from when they slaughter a pig, some lard, some spices and cornmeal. Press it into a one pound block (like when you buy butter, but in one piece) and wrap it airtight in plastic. You slice it about 1/4" thick, dredge it in flour, fry it in some grease.

DH's brother (who is also not a fan) calls it, "snouts and hooves." I've also heard it called, "everything but the squeal."

I'm sold on not eating the commercial stuff.
I have had some that was home made. It was edible but not preferred.

Maybe,lol In PR they take the instestines and empty them. Have no clue how they get cleaned but once they are cleaned, they fill it with some cooked rice and blood. Then fry them. They are very good. Lard is still used in PR for frying as well. I do not think I will eaat that combination but I bet I can find something from teh insides of a pig that I will eat,lol

Back
Top Bottom