Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Oh! Big news! A FIRST!

Snowbird took a leaf of spinach from my fingers today at snack time. He looked like he was reaching for it a couple times, but one of the girls got it. He wasn't avoiding me and running away, so I kept trying, and BINGO!

He did drop it right away, but still. :love

We decided we are going to be getting chickens again due to the price of eggs and miss having them. Does anyone close around the southwestern part of Michigan breed? We want to get chicks but will get them from TSC if have to
You know that it's not cheaper, right?
Especially if you start with chicks and have to feed them for 6 months before you even get an egg.

The few eggs I'm getting now....EACH egg costs more than a dozen at the grocery. :gig

they said it was due to the price of eggs
Yeah. I think I'm getting mine for about 20 cents apiece atm, just for the feed cost:

$23/50 lbs of feed. Lasts about a month for 7 chickens.
23 dollars divided by 210 chicken feed-days (30 x 7) = 11 cents/day/chicken
I get about 4 or 5 eggs a week.
77/4 = 19.25 each

So I get a dozen for $2.31 feed cost.

Now, factor in what we have in the coop/run/feeder/waterer/etc. No idea what my eggs have cost me. :idunno

Yeah. I think I'm getting mine for about 20 cents apiece atm, just for the feed cost:

$23/50 lbs of feed. Lasts about a month for 7 chickens.
23 dollars divided by 210 chicken feed-days (30 x 7) = 11 cents/day/chicken
I get about 4 or 5 eggs a week.
77/4 = 19.25 each

So I get a dozen for $2.31 feed cost.

Now, factor in what we have in the coop/run/feeder/waterer/etc. No idea what my eggs have cost me. :idunno
Quicker estimate:
23.00 divided by 20 eggs in the month the feed lasts is 1.19 per egg.

I have a spread sheet set up, eggs counted daily, cost tallied for each bag of feed.
Also used to tally sales(none since Sept) and other sheets list supplies and other expenditures.

Back
Top Bottom