Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Pics
Taking grand kids to John Ball Zoo today. I'm gonna have five girls 8 to 6. Wish me luck!
We're going to the JBZ today, too! I'm imagining myself introducing myself to every stranger with a gaggle of younger girls. "Um... hi. Are you chickflick?"
wink.png

We're going to the JBZ today, too! I'm imagining myself introducing myself to every stranger with a gaggle of younger girls. "Um... hi. Are you chickflick?"
wink.png
HA! There's probably a pic of her on one of the Chickenstock threads. Have a GREAT day!!

Excess Roos - I only have one LF Rooster and he's only about 2 1/2 months old. BUT - I have a bunch of what we call our "fancy roos" lol
We have a white crested blue polish, a frizzle, a porcelain d'uccle, an uggo, and at least 3 silkie...maybe 4. So far everyone gets along very well, no squabbles. I'm going to get rid of 3 silkies for sure. They are hatchery chicks and quality...not so awesome.

Hi gaitngirl I don't need anymore roos but
welcome-byc.gif

Chickflick - Good luck and have fun at the zoo!

Taprock - I would be the same way about taking mine in.
hugs.gif

Opa - Oh man I wish the temps would stay down for just a little bit. My oldest and I were moving some rocks yesterday and I thought I was going to pass out!

Mish - Good luck on trying to rehome your flock! A vacation would be nice!

Wynette - That must be a seriously loud crow!

Silly - UGH! That stinks about your washer! There's just never a good time to make that purchase. I love painting.

holy cow, vj - I think you got everyone!
thumbsup.gif

I'm super interested in finding info. on watering ducks through the winter. I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for...swampducks, I assume you have ducks?

holy cow, vj - I think you got everyone!
thumbsup.gif

I'm super interested in finding info. on watering ducks through the winter. I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for...swampducks, I assume you have ducks?
I don't have ducks but I'm curious about the best way to keep my chickens watered in the winter. This is our first year so I don't know what's the easiest. Right now I just have a hose stretched from the house to the coop but I know that won't work in winter. What do you all have set up?

Off topic but my kitten(the one I've been hand raising since she was 1 day old...now almost 6 WEEKS old!) is currently terrorizing my office. She has located her bottle in my handbag and is trying like mad to figure out how to get it out.
lau.gif
love.gif

GO KITTY! Sounds sweet...how did you come about a newborn kitten? Kudos on raising it up! That had to be tough!

I use heated (electric) waterers in all my coops. I couldn't live without them! This is the type I use:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/farm-i...reZip=48473&ddkey=http:StoreLocatorSearchView

They've made them for 3 years now...the first two years' models needed major improvements, which last year, it seemed they took care of. I bought a couple each year, and the ones from last year are much easier to use that the previous years.

I use the metal heater base with metal waterers, works great.

While you can get by without a heated water source, believe me your life will be so much simpler. Hauling water several times a day in the coldest and most miserable weather is one of the worst parts of chicken keeping. Also, animals are always better off with a constant supply of not close to freezing water, they drink more and stay hydrated better (cold really dehydrates you) and need less energy to stay warm than if they had to warm freezing cold water using body heat.

GO KITTY! Sounds sweet...how did you come about a newborn kitten? Kudos on raising it up! That had to be tough!

I use heated (electric) waterers in all my coops. I couldn't live without them! This is the type I use:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/farm-i...reZip=48473&ddkey=http:StoreLocatorSearchView

They've made them for 3 years now...the first two years' models needed major improvements, which last year, it seemed they took care of. I bought a couple each year, and the ones from last year are much easier to use that the previous years.
An Aunt of mine knows I'm a sucker for all things adorable and thought with all the things I have to do as it is...why not take in an abandoned kitten as well? Sigh.... Her mother had 4 kittens and right before that 100 degree heat wave struck she moved 3 and left this one. I asked her how LONG she left it there because we all know momma's move their babies. She said it'd been about 4 hours so I grudgingly accepted. Gia was already underweight as a newborn at only 2oz(normally they are 3-4oz) and was dehydrated. Anyway, I didn't expect her to even make it through the night but she did and each day got stronger. She's a typical ball of energized kitten fluff now. I can't believe it's been almost 6 weeks! We have a neutered male cat who just turned a year old that has taken her in as well! It's the craziest thing. He cleans her, plays with her and reprimands her just like a mom would. Max is an incredibly sweet cat though so I'm not surprised really.

One day old

5 weeks old

I use the metal heater base with metal waterers, works great.

While you can get by without a heated water source, believe me your life will be so much simpler. Hauling water several times a day in the coldest and most miserable weather is one of the worst parts of chicken keeping. Also, animals are always better off with a constant supply of not close to freezing water, they drink more and stay hydrated better (cold really dehydrates you) and need less energy to stay warm than if they had to warm freezing cold water using body heat.
Thank you both! I'll make sure I get something to keep the water open. I'm definitely not excited about the idea of hauling water multiple times a day.

Back
Top Bottom