Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Hey Nova (& Everyone!) Anyone got a great lead on preferably square pallets? I hope!
smile.png

Also looking for Runner Ducklings, any advice please?
If you are not shy, I'd do like Nova said plus hit any manufacturer that get's product delivered. Usually the pallets pile up and they give them away. It's just a matter of asking at the shipping/receiving area. It's like the pickers on TV - you just have to drive around and ask (maybe you shall receive). Family Farm and Home had runners last year. They are very resonable in their pricing and if they don't have any ask if they can order some. I think I payed a dollar for my duck KC. He's in charge around here now so we're happy, just not my ACD Jilly, she's not too cool with a duck chasing her around
smile.png

I sure did!! It was yummy :)! Are you going to sell any this year?
Cindy thinks I should but I'm a hoarder when it comes to syrup, lol! I may put a bottle on the table like last year. I may have one, or two hidden in my truck for emergencies. Like when you stop at Denny's and all they have is the fake corn syrup junk. I would like to get a bottle of honey, hint, hint. P.S. I will have bunnies and they are just as sweet...to look at...

While younger birds can probably survive cold temps, until they are fully feathered out (usually at 6 weeks of age) chicks can't properly maintain body temps while sleeping in cold weather. Huddling together is a sign that they may be too cold, and potentially can cause chicks to pile on top of each other, sometimes smothering the ones on the bottom. If you are putting them outside before 6 weeks, a supplemental heat source will increase their comfort and protect them from chilling - just like their mom would.

Cindy thinks I should but I'm a hoarder when it comes to syrup, lol! I may put a bottle on the table like last year. I may have one, or two hidden in my truck for emergencies. Like when you stop at Denny's and all they have is the fake corn syrup junk. I would like to get a bottle of honey, hint, hint. P.S. I will have bunnies and they are just as sweet...to look at...
Nothing wrong with hoarding when it comes to food!!
I wish I had hives :(. Too much to do already lol.
I scored a large jar of honey at our farmers market, Awesome. Almost as good as honey I got from Raz.

If I wouldn't have to shovel the snow off the garden I would plant peas and lettuce now.

Tap, are those the cochins in lockdown?
Yes, However yesterday after I took them out of the turner the incubator went nuts for about 2 hours. It was like the thermostat just quit. Luckily the kid was watching closely and when the temp would hit 100.5 yell for me to come and unplug it. After unplugging and resetting the temp on it 5 times it is now holding but at 98.8 so who knows what will happen.
barnie.gif
I think it's time for a new incubator.

The sky is a beautiful blue today and the sun is out. Hopefully more snow will leave today. Yesterday my son spent the day riding snowmobile with the thought it would be the last good day. I hope he's right. My seedlings will be ready to transplant into larger containers by this weekend. And I have found the plans I want to make a small coop for my little bantam girls that don't roost. I may start it in the garage or basement so that it is ready to go out as soon as the snow is gone.

Have a great day!

While younger birds can probably survive cold temps, until they are fully feathered out (usually at 6 weeks of age) chicks can't properly maintain body temps while sleeping in cold weather. Huddling together is a sign that they may be too cold, and potentially can cause chicks to pile on top of each other, sometimes smothering the ones on the bottom. If you are putting them outside before 6 weeks, a supplemental heat source will increase their comfort and protect them from chilling - just like their mom would.
Interesting post as I am struggling with this right now. My girls (hopefully anyway) are just about 6 weeks old and I want to move them outside because I feel like they're too crowded in the brooder. I put a light out there last night so as to check this a.m. what the temp. was. It was 54 degrees, and the low last night was supposed to be about 31, and will be around that for the next 10 days anyway. At any rate, seems like I'm safe putting the outside, yes?

They may be chilly at night but my 6 week olds seem a lot happier outside with all the space. They were feeling pretty cramped in the brooder by 3 weeks and so they went into a wire pen, then I started weaning them off the heat lamp. By 5 weeks they were getting too big for that pen, they were squabbling (especially the cockerels) and so I took them outside. I put them outside for about 4 hours one afternoon then brought them back in to sleep. The second day I put them out around noon and they stayed out from then on.

I enjoy my chickens but they're livestock, they're on our farm for very specific purposes. I don't want to spoil them. I guess I feel like if they can't handle living outside through the weather then they shouldn't be adding to my flock's gene pool. So far they've all made me proud, haven't lost a one.

I'm sure that we all got into chicken keeping for any number of reasons. My chickens are multi-purpose birds, source of income (eggs), insect control, compost contributors, entertainment, pets and ultimately dinner.

They have also served as a gateway to new friends.

The only downside is that they are also the source of a year-long legal battle. So far.
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom