Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I am so glad you reminded me about this. The lady at Flowerland told me that only the blue ones were poisonous, but I meant to check up on it when I got home and forgot. They are Ipomoea coccinea and evidently all of the plant is poisonous. I will be yanking them out for the sake of my chickens and 3 & 5 year olds. Does anyone have suggestions of a climbing vine (non-toxic) annual that will grow quickly in full-sun, hot sandy poor soil? I want something along the back of the run to help with the heat but there is a line above so I can't plant any trees.
http://www.poultryhelp.com/toxicplants.html#C

Thank you so much to RaZ for getting the extended run up for the chicks!!! And fast too!!!
bow.gif

Would have taken me hours!

Interesting list. I'm wondering now though... how accurate or are they just toxic in exaggerated amounts? I mean, water is toxic if you drink enough of it. A lot of those plants are ones that my chickens eat daily, like chickweed and nettle. They're not sick. My chicks, in fact, have devoured every leaf of the nettle plants surrounding the run - every leaf they could reach through the chicken wire. If it were toxic you'd think they'd be dead by now.
hu.gif
Heck, I love nettles! They're tasty in soup or eggs and contain lots of good vitamins. Cabbage and kale??? I've been feeding my chickens both. No deaths or illness yet.

Interesting list. I'm wondering now though... how accurate or are they just toxic in exaggerated amounts? I mean, water is toxic if you drink enough of it. A lot of those plants are ones that my chickens eat daily, like chickweed and nettle. They're not sick. My chicks, in fact, have devoured every leaf of the nettle plants surrounding the run - every leaf they could reach through the chicken wire. If it were toxic you'd think they'd be dead by now.
hu.gif
Heck, I love nettles! They're tasty in soup or eggs and contain lots of good vitamins. Cabbage and kale??? I've been feeding my chickens both. No deaths or illness yet.
Cabbage is on the list? Well I guess it is toxic when my husband eats it.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom