Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I also got enough donation money to cover next years pavillion rental!! Thanks, everyone who donated.
That's good news indeed
thumbsup.gif

Hopefully we'll be able to convince more people to come out next year and stay a tad longer to chat (like we did). Around March 2015 I'm going to attempt and contact a mess of the old posters/chickenstockers that were, and some still are, missing in action.

I will definitely be at CS next year. It was so much fun, everyone was super nice abs I just love the chickens I came home with.

My lil hatchling flower still however doesn't think she's a chicken yet. She loves following us out to feed the week old babies but when chores are done she chirps at the gait if left behind. Which is ok I guess cause DD loves it like it was her puppy. Lol.

It's confession time.

First, I ivermectined my chickens tonight - egg production was down and I wanted to get it done.  I had visions of me chasing chickens around trying to catch them, so I decided to wait until they were roosting and anticipated chasing at least half of them.  Was I ever wrong!  They all sat on their perches while I put the drops on them.  Was easy as pie!

Now for my confession.  I always think of them in their groups - my first group of older plus the adult roos, the group from this February, then the Easter group, plus the few that I have added here an there.  Well, while they were sleeping I actually counted and - gasp! - I am at 50!  Yikes!  Only my first group of 12 is laying right now, but when the rest start laying, well, I'd better get my little egg stand up in a hurry!

Holy chicken math!

Sounds like everyone had a great time at CS! Bummed I missed it but I will definitely try to make it next year. Right now we are dealing with ducklings. Not sure what I was thinking when we ordered TEN of them, LOL. They are so messy and at 2 weeks have nearly out grown the brooder I was able to keep 15 chickens in until 6 weeks! They're huge and smelly. They may have to go out into their coop next week but it's not rigged for a light and I'm pretty nervous about that. We have nowhere else to put them though
barnie.gif
It's warm enough, they will be fine outside. Mine are 4 weeks old and because mom had them, they have been out since day 1. They were only under her for about a week and then she moved outside to sleep, ducklings were already to big. Some of the ducklings stayed in the doghouse at night and some sleep outside on the ground by mom. Smell sure goes down once they have more room outside.
big_smile.png

my ducks are between 2 to 4 weeks and have been outside without a light since they were under a week. They have a stall in the barn and plenty of friends to cuddle with

Seen this on FB today:

From Warner Family Farm:
We are hosting a community forum at our farm next week, one week prior to when our planning commission is expected to present a new zoning proposal, drafted by a consultant out of Grand Rapids. We are expecting a big turn out and have been promoting this in our community. Our local paper will be writing an article this week for us. We have been communicating all along the way with our supporters, and even have a facebook page too: Warner Family Farm. I have also started an online petition for area residents to sign, asking that our board revise current zoning to be more accepting of micro farming. So far we are at almost 300 signatures in just under a week.
We'd encourage anyone, especially residents of Grand Haven Township to support this effort.

Warner Family Farm
Here's the invitation to our community forum, one week from today. Feel free to share!

Back
Top Bottom