Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

There's a bad place reserved for jerks who produce and dump critters! They are cute kittens, but we are full here too. Post photos at all the area vet offices, pet stores, etc. Your vet might have room to put them up for adoption; sometimes it's worth asking. Some of the rescue groups are good; inquire carefully. Three house cats are about the max; often more will turn into a social nightmare, with peeing, etc. Mary

I'm still trying to reunite these babies with the strange cat I've seen around for 3 days now... I think that's the mum. These are little. One didn't even have both eyes open last night :(
And I suspect they've got tapeworms. So they ain't coming inside my house/barn. Looking for natural remedies, as according to my vet's office, they may be too young for worming anyway. I don't think they'll eat pumpkin guts.

Man, DUCKS are So much Easier!!! I'm def a "duck person". Just do not start dropping those off either, thank you very much.

So we just seen a very good sized coyote. Only the 2nd one i've ever seen around here in 13 yrs. I have all the poultry under lock down but still so nervous because I have to leave for baseball tonite. DH says they hunt in packs and not to worry that 1 lone coyote is just hot and moving around, but can't help it. Our live trap def isn't big enough for him. Anybody have dealings with them before and how long before they move on hopefully?

I'm still trying to reunite these babies with the strange cat I've seen around for 3 days now... I think that's the mum. These are little. One didn't even have both eyes open last night
sad.png

And I suspect they've got tapeworms. So they ain't coming inside my house/barn. Looking for natural remedies, as according to my vet's office, they may be too young for worming anyway. I don't think they'll eat pumpkin guts.

Man, DUCKS are So much Easier!!! I'm def a "duck person". Just do not start dropping those off either, thank you very much.
Why tapeworms? Does the feces have the telltale "rice" pieces (tapeworm segments)? Too bad about the trouble. I have a dog, rooster, rabbit, and four ducks that were abandoned and old softy here took them in. I have two cats and that's all I can handle. I hope you find a home. They go quick in this area - just put out a sign once they are old enough if you still have them.

Guys, I need help. I just got home and found my favorite pullet lame. She is not putting any weight on her right leg at all and it's completely limp and doesnt respond when I touch it. I have no idea how to tell if its a break or dislocation. I know she's in pain, poor girl. What can I do for her? I really dont want to lose her, but I dont want her to suffer either. She is isolated right now and feeding eggs and lots of water because I dont think she's had any all day :(

ETA: There is no obvious injury to her at all. Is it possible my rooster tried to mount her and broke her leg? She is 16 weeks old.

Edited again for pics.

It is her right foot.

Last edited:
Guys, I need help. I just got home and found my favorite pullet lame. She is not putting any weight on her right leg at all and it's completely limp and doesnt respond when I touch it. I have no idea how to tell if its a break or dislocation. I know she's in pain, poor girl. What can I do for her? I really dont want to lose her, but I dont want her to suffer either. She is isolated right now and feeding eggs and lots of water because I dont think she's had any all day :(

ETA: There is no obvious injury to her at all. Is it possible my rooster tried to mount her and broke her leg? She is 16 weeks old.

Edited again for pics.

It is her right foot.
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I had a pullet (and a cockerel over the winter) have the same issue. I gave both of them 2 weeks to improve. The cockerel (he was HUGE) I confined to the largest nest box, and the pullet I confined in a small pet carrier for a few days inside the coop. Neither improved at all. The pullet could and did hop around and eat/drink/poop normally, and she was even able to get up and down the ramp at night but roosted in a nest box. I culled both as it wasn't fair to me, to make them try to get around that way, and it was essentially wasting feed. I cut the pullet open at the hip after she was culled and the whole ball/socket of her hip was trashed. In pieces.

I know others have had similar events and their birds did improve, but the whole 'unresponsive' leg thing is exactly what mine were like. I'm so sorry.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I had a pullet (and a cockerel over the winter) have the same issue. I gave both of them 2 weeks to improve. The cockerel (he was HUGE) I confined to the largest nest box, and the pullet I confined in a small pet carrier for a few days inside the coop. Neither improved at all. The pullet could and did hop around and eat/drink/poop normally, and she was even able to get up and down the ramp at night but roosted in a nest box. I culled both as it wasn't fair to me, to make them try to get around that way, and it was essentially wasting feed. I cut the pullet open at the hip after she was culled and the whole ball/socket of her hip was trashed. In pieces.

I know others have had similar events and their birds did improve, but the whole 'unresponsive' leg thing is exactly what mine were like. I'm so sorry.
I will give her a couple days in the kennel and see if she improves at all. I agree, its no way for them to live. It seems to be below her knee thats the problem. I flipped her on her back to examine her underside and she could move her leg at the hip somewhat. I just dont know what could have happened to her :(

Back
Top Bottom