Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Hey everyone! Does anyone near Lansing sell heritage breed hatching eggs, or have the option of shipping them? I have a my first broody hen and I have a few questions, 1) If I don't give the hen eggs how long will she be broody? 2)How do I collect eggs without her attacking me? 3) Would she hatch turkey eggs? THANKS!!!

The best way to eliminate the odor in the run would be with the application of powered dolomite lime (ag lime). It is available in the garden centers of both Home Depot and Lowes

Hi Michigan folks,
I just hatched chicks, and I found this. Any ideas how to fix it? I think its intestine.

Odor is one of the big factors that is cited for the prohibition of chickens or livestock in any given area. Even though aromas can be quantified by chemistry, the public reaction of "that stinks" carries a lot of weight. Never mind that it usually subjective.

Case in point. I am MAEAP verified as a farmstead operation and part of that verification is an OMP (Odour Management Plan). Part of the plan is asking neighbors and visitors if they smell anything. Today, the metre reader came by and I asked him if he smelled any foul odours. He sniffed a bit and then asked, "Are you growing weed? I smell ganja".

I had to laugh out loud. I told him that I had just spread out some hay. A nice bale of sweet timothy grass hay. I then showed him a bale of the hay. He took a deep whiff and proclaimed that it reminded him of home, back in Jamaica. So I guess that perception is a factor when it comes to aromas.

So sorry RTF don't have any idea. You could post on emergencies and diseases. Aww poor liitle chick.

Happy Birthday to all the folks with upcoming birthdays!
A very good week indeed to have one!

Well, I'm seriously considering downsizing my flock for the time being. I'm so overwhelmed with work and school and all my responsibilities, I just dont know what else to do. It's just getting overwhelming. I love having a large flock, but I'm thinking maybe I should downsize until I finish school (which is a major factor in my lack of time). I'm thinking of maybe keeping just 6 hens and 1 rooster, plus maybe 4 ducks. Maybe once I graduate next fall I can slowly work my way up, but right now I'm just overwhelmed. I dont know, I just needed to vent. School has me really down right now. Trying to work full time, take 2 accelerated classes per semester, deal with all the animals, a home AND a husband is just getting to me tonight :(

Well, I'm seriously considering downsizing my flock for the time being. I'm so overwhelmed with work and school and all my responsibilities, I just dont know what else to do. It's just getting overwhelming. I love having a large flock, but I'm thinking maybe I should downsize until I finish school (which is a major factor in my lack of time). I'm thinking of maybe keeping just 6 hens and 1 rooster, plus maybe 4 ducks. Maybe once I graduate next fall I can slowly work my way up, but right now I'm just overwhelmed. I dont know, I just needed to vent. School has me really down right now. Trying to work full time, take 2 accelerated classes per semester, deal with all the animals, a home AND a husband is just getting to me tonight :(
Hang in there! You are overwhelmed right now. You were planning on processing this fall anyway. And hubby should be supportive! :) You will survive...I went to college and got divorced at the same time! And ran a small animal rescue,and had two kids. It will just make you stronger!

You're having a really difficult few weeks with animals, @tori8780 . Wanting to back off a bit where you can is totally understandable.

Back
Top Bottom