Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Well, it would appear that my BO is broody again. Her chicks hatched on Mother's Day, I cant believe she's ready to do it again! Eesh. I dont really want to break her (just not a fan), but man, we dont need any more chickens!

Ur crazy!!!
No way would I have that many bees near my face. Heck not even 1 bee lol
Altho I have nothing against bees
Meh. I've been called worse. lol

They didn't even mind when I scooped out a bit of honey from the hive. It is very yummy right from the hive. Nothing better.

Although I should have put the super on a week ago.

Raz, do you offer your services to set up for new-bees :)
I'm hoping to get bees next spring. What type do you have for these cold Michigan winters?

Raz, do you offer your services to set up for new-bees :)
I'm hoping to get bees next spring. What type do you have for these cold Michigan winters?
I would be happy to help you or anyone set up a hive or three. Just getting started can be on the expensive side. You need the hive body, frames, super(s), bee suit, gloves, veil, smoker and a hive tool at a minimum. And the bees of course.

There are a few good places here in Michigan that you can supplies and starter packages in the spring. You need to order early because of CCD bee packages and queens go quickly. Did I mention that they are expensive?

Next week is the Michigan Honey Festival in Frankenmuth. It might be a good day trip for you and the family. http://www.michiganhoneyfestival.com/
@SillyChicken Do you and DH feel like a scooter trip for this? It is next Saturday, July 12.

On Monday I had a malignant tumor removed from my cheek just below my right eye. The surgery resulted in a 2 1/2 inch line of stitches. Yesterday I needed more bandages so I went to a local drug store. While standing in the checkout line, a young boy of perhaps 4 years of age asked "What happened to your face?" When I told him that I had a booboo he procedes to tell me all about the booboo.on his foot.

I remark that I'd rather have a sore foot than a sore face. He agreed and then wanted to know it happened. When I explained that it was the result of a surgical procedure. With an honesty that only small chidren process he remarked "That's really ugly. You need a new doctor".
Opa, that is funny but I do hope that you won't have any more issues with it. Healing prayers sent your way.

Happy Birthday to all the birthday folks.

Opa- hope that ends the problem. I have one tom turkey, a bourbon red that 2 weeks ago tried to commit suicide by coon. He had been laying around all day so I was watching him, trying to decide if he was sick. By nightfall he had been abandonded by his buddy ( toulouse gander) and I found him laying directly in the path the coons take on their nightly raids of my grain bins. He's been in sick bay ever since. I wormed him and gave him sulmet, he now acts fine and I think is ready to go back to his buddy. I've never had a bird try to kill themselves before.

Just had a skunk hanging out by the coop (which is totally predator proof). It was very cute & was very accommodating by leaving when I asked it to. Haven't really seen many skunks around here..raccoons, lots of raccoons, yes..but not skunks. Not sure what to do as I really do not want it getting comfortable around here...

@tori8780
You have GOT to be kidding! Our chicks hatched the same day! I can't believe your girl is broody again! Maia just started laying again & still playing mama to a degree. MAYBE if you let her hatch again someone here would want the chicks????

HAPPY 4th of JULY, everyone! Looks like another fabulous weekend is on tap :clap

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom