Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I still have that pretty little buck rabbit that needs a home. I could send you a picture. He's handled and very tame. Grey with black rimming on the ears. Cross between a FG and NZ.

Picked up a few Calico turkey poults the other day. Anyone have a good estimate how long before they reach young hen table weight?

"You did it!  I like the board and batten style.  Adding some ventilation?  Curious about the floor - are you putting down anything?  "

I put down a partial of roll vinyl under the roost; today i am going to buy a new roost and a board for a poop board. (Had to recycle the old one for the week) The batten strips are not sealing great, (rough sawn wood) but in this case the half inch boards keep the majority of the heat out and the shaded batten cracks let in air. The windows being up high let heat out. They closed in thepart where the long side of the roof meets the wall with plywood- and it looks like if i added a board/ gutter along it for draft protection i could take that out and hardware cloth it. We will see if when i close the windows in the fall if it gets stuffy or the batten breathing is enough??

For the hot days coming i am making a "summer" door with a hardware cloth panel at bottom for moving breeze; top part solid for blocking sun rays.

The coop is set in to a tree line so only gets barely touched by sun in the eve. :)

I do wish i had taken you up on the rental offer though; would be nice to not have to drive every day to see my birds.

Last edited:
"You did it!  I like the board and batten style.  Adding some ventilation?  Curious about the floor - are you putting down anything?  "

I put down a partial of roll vinyl under the roost; today i am going to buy a new roost and a board for a poop board. (Had to recycle the old one for the week) The batten strips are not sealing great, (rough sawn wood) but in this case the half inch boards keep the majority of the heat out and the shaded batten cracks let in air. The windows being up high let heat out. They closed in thepart where the long side of the roof meets the wall with plywood- and it looks like if i added a board/ gutter along it for draft protection i could take that out and hardware cloth it. We will see if when i close the windows in the fall if it gets stuffy or the batten breathing is enough??

For the hot days coming i am making a "summer" door with a hardware cloth panel at bottom for moving breeze; top part solid for blocking sun rays.

The coop is set in to a tree line so only gets barely touched by sun in the eve. :)

I do wish i had taken you up on the rental offer though; would be nice to not have to drive every day to see my birds.
That is a fabulous idea on the door. Wish I'd done something like that. Smart!

For bird news though my pretty blue bunny (roo) has had lung congestion for weeks now. 3 days on tetracycline didn't touch it so i did a week and a half of tylan 50 thinking pneumonia, nothing. Wormed heavy duty thinking gapes maybe, nothing. Girls pinked up great with all this though, so other than the breathing on him i got nothing. ??? No smell, no eye/nose discharge, no ruffle/ hunch, eyes bright as ever. Always wants held anyway so can't say if he is clingier than usual? I want to anti-up and get the denaguard, a long term routine is said to eliminate crd& mg.

Also hope's sister has eaten straw as well. Been coaxing her to drink and eat, massaging the mass. Not bringing her to the vet after that last experience i know that i am a better chance. She is showing improvement. (I have changed shifts at work so i see more than when i was having a friend do it; she is learning and may be a chicken addict in the making :) )

Last edited:
I figure a door is easy to change out! I will put the existing one back on in the fall. I have the hardware cloth, i just need the screen and wood.

I sit in the little house with them when i visit. Screens are priceless!!!! A hawk pair and possible eagle have made all but a few minutes of ranging impossible. Coon skat close too. Birds are scared to come out of their houses even WITH me. That and winter is why i focus on making it so they are able to live full time in their coops. It is a little small for 4 birds but with the roost and their quiet temperament it works beautiful. :)

Back
Top Bottom