Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Even domesticated dogs have instincts that cannot be bred out of them. Take for example dogs rolling - they do it out of primal instincts to cover their own scent either for the hunt, or to hide from something seeking them out. I had a very gentle dog that still persisted to find bunny holes and kill kits. I could not trai n it out of her and I certainly would not get rid of her. Only by keeping them separated unless the owner is present can we be 100% sure there is no mischief.

Always sorry to hear someone lost a critter. I know the more you get the more you have to worry about.

He was very guilty acting. Came from hiding in my daughter's doll house with tail between his legs and he was very wet and mucky, which could have came from sneaking under fence and running through all the duck water or if he didn't do it could have been caused from him just being a dog. He likes to dig though, so I don't know. It was hard for me to believe he just snapped but then again its hard for me to doubt he did it. :-( my next question is what would you all do? I have 13 adult ducks very unhappy they spent yesterday locked up. I left my hubbys Turkey's out in the run all day after tieing said dog up and fixed the hole. They aren't normally out there but nothing messed with them. Would you guys let the ducks out, since they've been ok for 2 month or would you leave them stalled. I'm so torn I don't want them miserable (even though they have a pool per stall and food) but I also cherish my birds especially a couple of my special ducks?Wouldyou only allow them in the run when you were there or let them get back to their normal daily routines? Oh and the black lab has never hunted but years ago at are old place he was caught killing a neighbor's chickens but we have moved and had no close neighbors so he has ran free basically the 4 years we've bee here I always thought he was protecting our farm :-/

Any dog that has previously killed poultry is very likely to do it again, it is a pleasure to them and they find the urge irresistible. He is, after all, only a dog, not a logical being (and I think we all know people who are unable to control their urges as well). As far as getting rid of him, as long as you secure your fences why? Unless you can find a good home for him, he is likely to end up in a shelter, a poor home, or euthanized. If I understand your post right, you have already taken the steps required to keep him out of the run.

I would offer you some replacement birds if you lived closer - hope you can find some birds for companionship to your survivor, and provide eggs for you.

My dog likes killing chickens too. She's also killed squirrels and bunnies. She's not allowed at the barn or outside if a critter is in the yard until I chase it away. She also wears a shock collar and never goes out unsupervised.
Otherwise she's a great dog. Just gets to excited.

I'm just still in shock I lost 99% of are chicken flock thank you all for your help and condolences.

we lost chickens three times to other peoples loose pet dogs...dogs dont know any better and think its a fun game to get the chickens. They always go at it until the "fun" is over. Maddening for sure...sad, very much. I only lost a few because mine free range andi am sure scattered to hide. Plus we or my neighbor stopped entire damage. Many chickens will die from the shock more than injury. Our brave Iowa Blue rooster lost all skin off left side, back and all fluff area. He is still fighting to live and has the will to survive. It will be a long haul and he may not walk after all of this but we are giving him the chance anyway...so sorry Spiders...my heart hurts for you !

Quote:
Yes me too...on both counts.

The possible dramatization grabs ya....and its always so hard to find out what the real story is. Was it a blatant crushing of food rights......or were the parties involved not following the rules of the law....and what are those laws and are they just?

Hard to suss out reality at times.

Anyone in the GR area happen to have some young chicks (a week old or less)? None of ours made it through the hatch and I dont want our mama hen to have to sit for 21 days again, she's already lost so much weight. I only need two, but will take more.

Also, I have a gorgeous blue copper marans rooster available if anyone needs one. He is 5 months old and gorgeous.

Back
Top Bottom