Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

SHIVER

For us we use the furnace. For the birds nothing. As long as the birds are in a draft free well ventilated enclosure nothing is required.

Last edited:

I may just need to stay home this deer season....... Nah... was at my dads today... and there are plenty of signs of bucks out there as well... I'm looking forward to filling my tags and freezer and enjoying a little time out in my tree enjoying all that nature has to offer!

Cleaned both the goat houses, duck pond, duck house. Turkeys, chickens, and ducks were having a blast in the woods eating things. The JWitness peeps stopped and I gave them some free duck eggs. Trailcam showing some male ruminants finally.

Silly - Nice deer:)

Tap - Bad snow:(

Ha ha...

lol good name we hadn't really named him. oh i had a question for everyone else too. what does everyone do for the winters up here? i keep reading a bunch of contrary info on heating or not heating

I moan and complain- a lot. It doesn't seem to bother the chickens too much as long as they have a draft free roost. As long as you have cold hardy breeds and your rhode island reds are. Just don't let them become wet & chilled.

Cleaned both the goat houses, duck pond, duck house. Turkeys, chickens, and ducks were having a blast in the woods eating things. The JWitness peeps stopped and I gave them some free duck eggs. Trailcam showing some male ruminants finally.

Silly - Nice deer:)

Tap - Bad snow:(

Ha ha...
Yeah, I cleaned off the chicken ladder I have in my tractor up into their coop nest box area, and I scrapped off some more off the roosts and the wire floor in the coop section. The nice thing about a chicken tractor is that for clean up you just gotta move it, and ideally a couple of feet every day. Going to have to park that next to the garage soon and get some straw bales to put around it to block the wind a little more.

Last edited:
Yeah... yesterday was fun in the woods checked my stand and my dad and sisters stand and put up some tents. Cleared some new growth that I forgot I CAN'T TOUCH....... now I have a nasty case of poison ivy (sumac) And I had gloves on!... Itchy!! Itchy!! Itchy!! Trying to get into the Dr office this morning to get a shot.

DH and Sage......

Last edited:
ADORABLE PUPPY!! Hubby not so bad either!
gig.gif

wee.gif
Quarantine is over today for the new roosters I got from @preciouskitty . They are doing great in their pen in the pole barn, but they really don't like the auto body work going on in there.
lau.gif

I want to get them together with their hens before the "powdered sugar" hits later this week.

Now I'm nervous about the procedure. There is no room to intro inside coop for a few days cuz of the giant dog crate they are in now. I do have the chicken gazebo next to the run except they will be exposed at night. Should I just put them in coop with girls tonight?

Thoughts?
idunno.gif

Hi all I am less than a month old to BYC and chicken farming. Are any of you local to me in SW Michigan? I have 3 hens. 2 Isa Browns and 1 White Leghorn. I am looking for a couple of Rhode Island Red chicks 2 girls and 1 gentleman. I have settled on this breed as the one I think will be best for us after researching many of them. Do any of you raise them? Know personal pros and cons to this breed? What is your favorite breed and why?

Back
Top Bottom