Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Don't want to jinx myself but this brown soup of a yard would look a bit nicer with that layer of snow on it again.
*hurls a rotten egg at newtnn*

Grrr.... was really wanting to get one fix done today, but it just didn't quite happen. Our big sliding door on the south side of the arena had came off its roller hanger. Between the ground freezing and heaving under the door and our beating, pulling, shoving, and tugging on the door to get it open and closed there, all of that activity had managed be bend open the clip that held the bolt that held the door to the roller. At first we thought it would just be a simple matter of digging out the door so that there would be plenty of space to get the door and then lifting the door back up with somebody on a ladder to slide the clip back onto its spot on the roller.

First off, we had boarders in for a couple of hours so that we really couldn't get started on that project. Then, our big ladder was just too dang long to really reach where I needed to reach. We were able to borrow a neighbors ladder, and that got me close enough to the top of the door. After a few tries with my brother lifting the door, we realized that the clip just wasn't going to go on that way and that it was bent all out of whack anyways. So we took the hanger bolt off and then got the roller off and fixed the clip to the roller issue.

However, after that, we realized another issue when we were putting the bolt back on so that we could hang the door. The end of the bolt where you would start the nut has flats spots on the sides of it so that you could hang onto the bolt with something without messing up the threads. So you gotta just get the nuts on just right. However it appears that somebody managed to just mess up the thread there just enough that we couldn't get the nuts on so that we could hang the door. GRRRRRR.......

Thankfully, my brother works in machining and has something at work that would allow him to rethread the bolt. Its just that there's that wind storm warning for tomorrow, and we probably won't have any time until Tuesday evening to get that door fixed. However some plastic baling twine to tie that door down at that end along with that end of the door resting in trench I dug out for it should keep it from blowing off to the neighbors yard. I hope.
tongue.png

Staci, so sorry to hear that, I know how much work you have put into them. Hope things get better for you soon.

Thanks. I hope so too. I've been overwhelmed. Though not seeing my Araucana girls in the coop anymore makes me quite sad. Thankfully they're in capable hands, the genetics and my hard work selective breeding to improve them will not go to waste.

Morning everyone, i hope you had good weekends. I'm still happy there is no snow and its warm, even though everything is a snotty mess lol.

Also found out Saturday morning, my house chicken is a roo lol.

Sorry to hear about your flock Stacy. Hopefully the NG's are doing well, and you can keep that going. I think Percy bred the two Toggies and the NG doe successfully. Time will tell. Like most places we're dealing with this mud-fest after losing a foot of packed snow to relentless rain. The ducks are LOVING IT. Yep, to be a duck. Everybody was out free ranging yesterday. The chickens found a new area to dust under some huge Colorados that kept the ground dry. The turkeys were idiots though and kept running around the barn even though the doors were open on both ends. Even the rabbits got to stretch their legs and charge around the grassy yard.

My two cents on this winter watering: Either use a heated water can, or get some of the black rubber bowls from FF&H or TS.
The Pros: Heated stay fluid. Rubber bowls that ice-up can be stomped on outside and refilled immediately.
The Cons: Heated need an electrical source. Rubber bowls, umm, none that I know.
I use both types and the only way you run out of water is if you don't check them morning and night.

It been beat to death, but chickens do not require a source of heat. Lights, such as broad spectrum, on timers, simulate daylight. If you use them try to get them to shut off before natural darkness so the chooks can get on roost. These do not provide heat (really). Heat will be your enemy if the chooks get used to it and you lose power for an extended amount of time. That said, if you truly want to add heat you can, but you don't need to. More important is ventilation.

So, put on the barn boots and get dirty!

Hello, fellow Michiganders - hope everyone is well, and your birds (and other critters) are all happy & healthy!!

I know this is a shot in the dark, but anyone who may be heading to the Knoxville, TN show the weekend of 12/6-7, please PM me. I have a few birds that I need to be taken down (my boss rejected my vacation request, so I am now unable to go).

THANKS!!

My two cents on this winter watering: Either use a heated water can, or get some of the black rubber bowls from FF&H or TS.
The Pros: Heated stay fluid. Rubber bowls that ice-up can be stomped on outside and refilled immediately.
The Cons: Heated need an electrical source. Rubber bowls, umm, none that I know.
I use both types and the only way you run out of water is if you don't check them morning and night.

It been beat to death, but chickens do not require a source of heat. Lights, such as broad spectrum, on timers, simulate daylight. If you use them try to get them to shut off before natural darkness so the chooks can get on roost. These do not provide heat (really). Heat will be your enemy if the chooks get used to it and you lose power for an extended amount of time. That said, if you truly want to add heat you can, but you don't need to. More important is ventilation.
The only con I can think of with rubber bowls is that combs and wattles can get wet fairly easily. It is best if you can check your water founts at least twice a day. More often in deep cold.

Well said about supplemental heat.

I also want to beat the deep litter horse a bit. I like deep litter and often suggest it. But it is NOT a heat source in a coop. Heat is a by-product of the decomposition process and a good compost heap has a proper balance of green and brown material along with moisture. Moisture in a coop is bad for your chickens. I often see internet "suggestions" that DL will heat your coop in the winter. I have found no valid evidence that this is true.

Keep your coop dry, well ventilated and draft free and your birds will do fine. Fresh food and water are vital. Good luck y'all.

I've made a coupe of the cinderblock heaters this year (I currently have 4 in use with 2 on standby). They use a 40 watt bulb for heat. I have to say, they're doing a great job. I had them plugged in & running when we had the cold snap last week, and though the water at the end opposite the water opening froze over, they all stayed clear where the water opening was.

The only thing I don't much care for is that, since my waterers are red/plastic on the bottom, it glows in the pen. It's not enough to keep the birds up, but still sort of bothers me. Here's a pic taken with the lights off in the barn:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom