Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

The family farm and home allowed single chick sales vs the 3 chick minimum at tractor supply. I have also combined orders with strangers to get one chick. They get a few free birds i get whatever special bird/s i happened to spy. One chick is a screaming chick!!! Only reason i got two yesterday.

Did anybody else hear peepers tonight?? I heard some when I came home tonight.

where abouts do you live? we are in Belding and I have not heard them yet. did see a dead one and a dead baby garter snake in the road though. I love the spring peepers, I will be listening tonight
http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/news/story.aspx?id=1186897#.VR8sUfnF-Sr

Draw your own conclusions on this story.
Personally, I am frightened by this.

that is scary, plus when they knew who it belonged to it should of been returned. pretty soon they will be shooting dogs walking along the street cause they could be wild
Questions....are turkey's laying yet? Does anyone know anyone who has turkey eggs for sale? Please PM me if you have turkey's.

Also, does anyone know what type of egg this may be and does anyone have any? I'm thinking Cochin ? But not sure. It's not real big as you can see part of a coturnix quail egg next to it and it's longer and pointed on one end.
Also looking for Olive egger eggs. PM me thanks.
I have an olive egger that lays dark green when wet they look about the color of an olive, I love the dark color. I have Chanteclairs that lay an egg that shape but are rather large

Pretty eggs. Green is very olive

My not so fun project. It took me more than a few eggs to get the technique to blow out eggs with an air compressor and not have them blow up in my hand. Having more than 20 dozen eggs in the fridge made the exploding eggs a little less troubling and now I know how.
DH also cooked 4 dozen bantam/Serema eggs to pickle. He likes them with lots of jalapeño and garlic.
And in the irony of a fridge full of eggs, we aren't cooking any to color. My son is doing ceramic ones with his 4-h group.

that is scary, plus when they knew who it belonged to it should of been returned. pretty soon they will be shooting dogs walking along the street cause they could be wild

I am on Lost and Found Pets of the UP (something like that) on facebook and saw the initial lost post for that little piggie. They did mention blood on the road, so they were thinking the piggie had been attacked. As bad as it would have been to loose a pet pig to a coyote, losing it to a DNR officer who cannot tell the difference between a 30lb pot belly piggie from a wild boar is pretty outrageous. It is like the police officers who shoot chihuahuas when they could (not that they should) punt the dog away rather than unload a clip into the dog.

I almost thought my dog Lacey was going to be shot when she slipped out when an officer came to the door. He was looking for my (scamming) neighbor. Thankfully I was able to quickly catch her before she approached him to try and give him kisses (what she does with all strangers). Pretty tense few moments though...

No sap flow today even tho it well froze last night....but one more, I think the last, chick hatched got 8 total.
Looks like a good mix of the cross with half one color pattern, half another...will be interesting to see gender counts in a month or so.
Am pretty convinced that half of the 6 broody chicks, now 8 weeks old, are pullets...gotta start butchering son, out with the old in with the new!

Back
Top Bottom