Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Hatch is over.....got 8 OE chicks.
Chick Stampede!!!
0.jpg
I hatched some lt sussex chicks about 2 weeks ago now. They are the most skittish things ever. I've always had chicks come running when when i tap on something before, but these little buggers run away. I dont know whats wrong with them. lol

Is that sand in the brooder? Hows that work out for you? Do you clean the poop out with a cat litter sifter or something?

Is that sand in the brooder? Hows that work out for you? Do you clean the poop out with a cat litter sifter or something?
Yes it's bagged sand, washed and kiln dried and some PDZ...I use a reptile poop screen scoop.
Has worked well for now 3rd hatch, you do need something solid for the first week for food and water until they get that part.

I got some chicks this weekend, too.Dark cornish/dominque cross. Apparently no eggs from my dark cornish hens hatched because there are no chipmunk colored chicks! These all look similar to purebred doms. Ah well. They're still cute.

It's possible that they are a cross. Dominique chicks wouldn't typically have that much "spotchiness" to them. I'd almost be willing to bet some of them are crosses. Black does seem to be dominant over other colors too. So, the chipmunk stripes wouldn't necessarily show through.

Back
Top Bottom