Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

First winter having chickens, I have 3 that are still laying daily. They often lay their eggs between 8-10 am and I collect them after work about 6 pm. Do I have to worry about them freezing? The coop isn't heated

Thanks aart. I have my mama heating pad and an extension cord that I have run out there for the water de-icer. Maybe I can run the heating pad beneath 2 of the nesting boxes and then block off the others until it's warmer again.

Thanks aart. I have my mama heating pad and an extension cord that I have run out there for the water de-icer. Maybe I can run the heating pad beneath 2 of the nesting boxes and then block off the others until it's warmer again.
PSA....Be careful with extension cords, make sure they are heavy duty, kept away from the birds interference, and kept dust free and dry at any connections.

Well I have 4 cockerels on death row this evening. I'll likely pardon one, and the remaining will go to freezer camp.

I have to decide who to pardon. Do I keep the heaviest one? The prettiest one? Decisions, decisions.

Currently I have the following live weights:

4lb 10 oz
3lb 15 oz
3lb 13 oz
3lb 12 oz

I'm not sure why I have the one that is so much larger.

These are the RR x Easter Egger mixes. Obviously Easter Eggers are smaller bodied birds, so certainly aren't going to be the heaviest birds on earth, lol.

I forgot to mention. They were hatched June 23rd, so just about 5 months old. It seems kinda strange to me that none of them have started crowing. Only my main rooster crows.

Back
Top Bottom