Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Was in and out of coop a dozen times this morning,
as soon as I sat back down upstairs, had a visitor.
Foiled by the run!
upload_2017-10-13_10-38-5-png.1159202
I like the use of the t-posts and roof support connections. Clever.

I am going to have to get creative for security for the coop and run at the new home. Burying HW cloth is not practical. Far too many trees and roots to contend with. But I have a few ideas to try.

They are supposed to start excavation for the garage on Thursday. :fl

I like the use of the t-posts and roof support connections. Clever.

I am going to have to get creative for security for the coop and run at the new home. Burying HW cloth is not practical. Far too many trees and roots to contend with. But I have a few ideas to try.

They are supposed to start excavation for the garage on Thursday. :fl
Thanks...took some out of the box brain twisting, but was fun to figure out.
Has held up quite well for 4 years now, expected the PVC couplers to fail.
Fabrication details are on my coop page.

The pieces of 2x4 mesh on run walls and roof goes out into ~18" aprons on top of ground. Got it pinned down flat enough that I can mow right over it, granted I mow high anyway.

WooHoo on garage! Did you get all your birds moved?

Thanks...took some out of the box brain twisting, but was fun to figure out.
Has held up quite well for 4 years now, expected the PVC couplers to fail.
Fabrication details are on my coop page.

The pieces of 2x4 mesh on run walls and roof goes out into ~18" aprons on top of ground. Got it pinned down flat enough that I can mow right over it, granted I mow high anyway.

WooHoo on garage! Did you get all your birds moved?

The PVC will likely have to be replaced eventually. Exposed like that to the weather will make it crack but it is easy enough to keep an eye on.

I'll have to go "flat" on the ground since I can't dig but I will get it nice and secure.

I'll move the birds after the township gives the OK on the garage foundation. After that it's unlikely that I'll have to see them again.

The PVC will likely have to be replaced eventually. Exposed like that to the weather will make it crack but it is easy enough to keep an eye on.
Am actually surprised they haven't failed already, there's quite a bit of pressure on them at the screws.

Hello all!

None of my chickens are laying and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas why or what I can do to get them laying.

I have four all together. One is old and I don't expect her to lay anymore. Two are over three years old and I thought maybe they should still be laying. One is almost seven months and I would have thought she would have started laying by now.

None of them are molting as of yet. The two that are over three have not laid since early summer. I kind of figured it was the stress of introducing the new one.

Anyone have any ideas, thoughts, suggestions? Thanks

This time of year when the days are becoming shorter, it's harder for young pullets to come in to lay, and easier for older birds to stop laying. It's not necessarily so much the length of day that counts, as the fact that the days are getting shorter each day.

I have birds of all ages, and didn't get my morning light going until last week. some are molting, and some of the pullets aren't in lay yet. So, very few eggs! Not to mention the mite infestation (UGH!) that's being treated, but still...
With three older hens and one pullet, and short days, it's not suprising that your egg count is so poor. Time to raise chicks in spring! Mary

I'll have to go "flat" on the ground since I can't dig but I will get it nice and secure.

I'll move the birds after the township gives the OK on the garage foundation. After that it's unlikely that I'll have to see them again.
hope your garage is up and in working order real soon, sounds like all is going well, dont forget, a hot wire around the bottom about 1 foot off ground works great for most climbers and many diggers as they get the nose up to the fence and find it unfriendly,;)
Hello all!

None of my chickens are laying and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas why or what I can do to get them laying.

I have four all together. One is old and I don't expect her to lay anymore. Two are over three years old and I thought maybe they should still be laying. One is almost seven months and I would have thought she would have started laying by now.

None of them are molting as of yet. The two that are over three have not laid since early summer. I kind of figured it was the stress of introducing the new one.

Anyone have any ideas, thoughts, suggestions? Thanks

I have 30 hens, some old some new and some 2yr olds, between molting and day time even though I put on my winter light, I am getting 4 eggs a day...... I have a beautiful LARGE maple in the middle of the run, shades the coop wonderfully in summer, gives so much shade they think is is dark at 5pm and head inside But, it is normal for them to slow way down in fall, breed makes a big difference too. some breeds are better layer, yr round.

Back
Top Bottom