Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Tonight I figured out why a couple of my hens are slow coming to the coop to roost at night; the white Chantecler cockerel is stalking around in the coop, waiting for them to show up, so he can VERY enthusiastically breed them. Nobody's injured, and it's going to improve, or he goes. Blast!!! Mary

Yeah... If picking breeding stock, especially cockerels, was easy, what fun would that be?!? He's not at all human aggressive (at six months of age) but needs to settle down some, or he's stressing out those hens and pullets. It's not worth it! His daddy Solo,(my avatar) is still doing fine, and 'junior' is there as insurance. Mary

Ruh-roh, second accumulation this week, not a good harbinger
IMG_20171104_084855.jpg

Hi all! Hope everyone is staying warm and dry today. I need some help with my coop configuration. It’s here!! Well, it’s still in the boxes as you can see in the photo, but we’re on our way! ;)Luckily, we plan to pick up six chicks (doms, EEs and wellsummers) on President’s Day, so we have some time. We’ll brood inside and put them out in April. It’s a resin shed that we’ll retro-fit. I know ventilation will be HUGE. We’ll add vents, but to help that along, should we plan to place the wall with the window on the north side of coop, or the south? The north faces our house (about 60 feet away) and the south faces a field. The doors that contain two other windows will face west. Including a photo here of the spot for the coop. It will go between the big pine tree and the stump that has the shovel in it. Pine tree is west, stump is east. Any advice would be appreciated! If it helps, we’ll also attach an 8x12 hardware cloth run along the north side of the coop (facing our house) and we’ll have an auto chicken door on that side that opens into the run.

Attachments

• 1B6B7BDA-3B42-413F-9A92-F25195C06DE0.jpeg
    1B6B7BDA-3B42-413F-9A92-F25195C06DE0.jpeg
    469.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DFA88CF6-4355-4E9B-A58D-7A910BA2AD3E.jpeg
    DFA88CF6-4355-4E9B-A58D-7A910BA2AD3E.jpeg
    603.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 35235C3C-9E92-411D-9090-41ACD85A3AE3.jpeg
    35235C3C-9E92-411D-9090-41ACD85A3AE3.jpeg
    532.6 KB · Views: 4
Hi all! Hope everyone is staying warm and dry today. I need some help with my coop configuration. It’s here!! Well, it’s still in the boxes as you can see in the photo, but we’re on our way! ;)Luckily, we plan to pick up six chicks (doms, EEs and wellsummers) on President’s Day, so we have some time. We’ll brood inside and put them out in April. It’s a resin shed that we’ll retro-fit. I know ventilation will be HUGE. We’ll add vents, but to help that along, should we plan to place the wall with the window on the north side of coop, or the south? The north faces our house (about 60 feet away) and the south faces a field. The doors that contain two other windows will face west. Including a photo here of the spot for the coop. It will go between the big pine tree and the stump that has the shovel in it. Pine tree is west, stump is east. Any advice would be appreciated! If it helps, we’ll also attach an 8x12 hardware cloth run along the north side of the coop (facing our house) and we’ll have an auto chicken door on that side that opens into the run.
There are a couple resin shed builds on here.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/search/10541273/?q=resin+shed&t=post&o=date&c[title_only]=1

It's always best to have the majority of your ventilation on the side away from the prevailing winds during bad weather. Most bad storms in Michigan blow from the north and west, so the best location for ventilation is on the south or east side, South preferred. If you have a lot of protection from the wind on the north and west sides, however you could put your ventilation there.

It's always best to have the majority of your ventilation on the side away from the prevailing winds during bad weather. Most bad storms in Michigan blow from the north and west, so the best location for ventilation is on the south or east side, South preferred. If you have a lot of protection from the wind on the north and west sides, however you could put your ventilation there.
This is so helpful, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom