Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Let’s play a fun game called “larvae or worms”. I was cleaning the poop board off in my layer coop (it’s been 3 weeks because we are so busy right now and I found this in one section of the droppings. Not in all of it, just in about a 1ftx1ft spot. And I’m completely grossed out.

Attachments

• 1C5C8312-A3AB-4C38-8B3C-C54F2233F9E6.jpeg
    1C5C8312-A3AB-4C38-8B3C-C54F2233F9E6.jpeg
    679.8 KB · Views: 5
Seems early(too cold) for larvae...and I don't see segments like maggots would have.
So I'd say roundworms...but the 'flat' ends don't look like round worms.
Too grossed out to poke around in there for a better look?

0349947C-C845-4214-91E9-F4A86BA6AAB0.jpeg
I was given 5 older birds to keep my one survivor of the dog attack company. They are doing well adjusting to their new place. I did wander though if I will have an issue come winter. The new girls were raised in a heated barn. I don’t do any heat. Will they be able to acclimate?
My neighbors also brought me 8 more baby chicks today. One is taking charge already. Boy is she noisy though!

View attachment 1385510 I was given 5 older birds to keep my one survivor of the dog attack company. They are doing well adjusting to their new place. I did wander though if I will have an issue come winter. The new girls were raised in a heated barn. I don’t do any heat. Will they be able to acclimate?
My neighbors also brought me 8 more baby chicks today. One is taking charge already. Boy is she noisy though!
No worries. They will adjust just fine. When we were newbies we gave them heat for two winters. They did fine the following year.

Thanks for posting the link Mutt... Chicken stock really is a fun time.

So as many of you know my dad past on in March. He was a bit of a collector, of lots of "stuff".. My mom has decided that she has to move out by the end of the year. Which means me and my brother have to scramble now to clean out all the "stuff" (there is LOTS of "stuff", a full basement and two barns full). We were hoping to build an outbuilding to put "stuff" in at our house, but, now I don't know what we're going to do. "Stuff" includes wood shop tools, lots of good wood, some unfinished antique furniture... old doors... he was a carpenter so he hated to toss out good "stuff"! Now with this decision, I am not sure if I can get away for CS this year, wish she would have given us more time. But she "didn't want to be a burden on us", though this decision has created an actual burden on us now where there wasn't one. GAH!!:barnie

Chonsey, beautiful roo. The red line just looks like part of the skin and blood supply for the feathers on his legs.
I’ve been there! My Dad was a hoarder as well as a collector of stuff. Before he passed away I had the task of clearing out his huge place. We filled two 20 yd dumpsters. We also moved lots and lots of stuff to my basement and garage. When has passed away last year the stuff in his apartment also came to my house. I work FT and lived 45 minutes from his house when we were clearing it out. Most of the time just my sister and I would go up there. Almost every day I had off I was there. It was awful at times and hilarious at others. Just dive in and go. Pick one room at a time. Maybe you’ll get lucky and find a jar of jam from 1979 like we did. Good luck!

Seems early(too cold) for larvae...and I don't see segments like maggots would have.
So I'd say roundworms...but the 'flat' ends don't look like round worms.
Too grossed out to poke around in there for a better look?

Soooo grossed out. I had to force myself to finish cleaning it out. I’m ok with a lot of “gross” stuff but parasitic worms are too much.

Tapeworms.

Uuuugh. That’s what I was leaning toward to. Now I have to figure out how in the heck to treat it without a vet because I’m not paying that much for a bunch of hens I’m culling in 3 months.

Here is advice from parasite guru Dawg53:

Tapeworms are flat and segmented, a 7 inch tapeworm isnt uncommon for an infested chicken. The "white specs" in the poop are a dead giveaway for tapeworm segments. Natural products wont touch tapeworm infestations. Purchase valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer from Jefferslivestock.com.
Withhold feed from all your chickens for 24 hours. After 24 hours are up, dose each one with valbazen orally undiluted. Since it's tapeworms, an increased dosage is necessary; dosage for standard size birds is 1cc, smaller chickens 1/2cc. Then wait 3 days, withhold feed for 24 hours and repeat dosing all birds with the same dosage. Then repeat this whole procedure a third and final time.
There's a 14 day withdrawal period after the last dosing.
You cannot get worms from ypur chickens, practice normal hygiene after handling any animal. Forget about treating the soil, worm eggs are everywhere. It would be best to start a regularly scheduled worming program. Consider worming all your birds once every 3 months due to your continuous wet soil conditions.
Valbazen dosages for routine worming would be 1/2cc orally undiluted for standards, 1/4cc for smaller birds. Then repeat dosing again in 10 days.

After reading all the grumbling about DH's I've realized that not being one is probably a good thing.

Speaking of good things I just donated to Raz and hope that others will also. He definitely is in a tough situation created by a local government out of control.

Back
Top Bottom