Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I remember when DDT was sprayed in our city neighborhood against Dutch Elm disease, and it failed to save the trees. However, DDT saved many many human lives when it was used against malaria carrying mosquitoes, as the only effective insecticide available at the time. Trade-offs happen, and hindsight is great.
EEE is one of the nasty diseases carried by biting insects, and kills unvaccinated horses, and humans.
It's interesting; we have really good inexpensive vaccines for horses against EEE, WEE, and VEE, also West Nile disease, and Lyme disease vaccine for dogs. Humans, no.
This year more than the typical number of horses in southern Michigan have fallen to EEE, no doubt unvaccinated, and they are sentinals for this problem for us.
Mary

I saw the surgeon today. He says that the wires holding my sternum together are infected. It's infected the bone and the tissue. The wires will have to be removed but not for another month. Must wait 12 weeks from date of the surgery. Great! Four more weeks of pain to look forward to. Aleve is all he said for the pain. Maybe more antibiotics if my PCP wants me to have them. At least I got a note for missing work today.

I remember in the 60's when they were aerial spraying the neighborhood. Everyone was outside as the plane flew low and sprayed everything and everyone. No health warnings at all. Who knows what poison was raining down on us. We then had many years after with no songbirds, squirrels, bugs, frogs, or toads.

This year they aerial sprayed for gypsy moths in my township. Killed a lot of caterpillars but didn't even touch the gypsy moths. Maybe it kills them in cocoons IDK. My house is covered with cocoons.

Frost warning here for tonight. The wind was off the lake all day and it was darn chilly. I only went outside to check the birds. One more trip out to close them in for the night then I'm going to snuggle in bed and hope to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom