Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

One of our miserable chicken feed eating ground hogs finally bit the dust tonight! After destroying one live trap, then getting the apples out of the bigger live trap without setting it off. He went into the coop, with me sitting 20 ft. away from the door, and I was able to lock him inside. One large chubby critter, now deceased. How many more? How many are smart enough to avoid a live trap?
We'll see tomorrow...
Mary

One large chubby critter, now deceased. How many more? How many are smart enough to avoid a live trap?
We'll see tomorrow...
Mary
Good Job!!
They are large animals.

They are usually pretty solitary
Yes, thank goodness!
Been a few weeks since I've seen the one that was harassing me earlier this year,
I hope a coyote ate it.

My neighbor takes care of the ground hogs. I haven't seen any in awhile.
RaZ, you going ok? Take it easy. Glad your co workers are watching out for you.
Getting ready for our Halloween camping trip. I love this trip. Going to South Haven this weekend. I've been crafting stuff for a few weeks. Zombie dolls, old fence for graveyard, a moon, spider egg sacks. Just fun scary things. It's been fun getting the ideas and making it happen. And the weather is going to be great. My two granddaughters are going to have such fun!

Finally, finally, our coop and run are coming together! We did a LOT of modifying. We added a new top to the coop so it's 3 feet taller on the one side & 1 foot taller on the other, vents on both sides. Made the run from scratch.

Next step is securing the overlaps of the hardware cloth on the run (going to use hog rings once they come in from TSC) and predator apron. I've got a 2-foot roll of the 1/2 inch hardware cloth that I am planning on using in a rectangle around the full coop & run but what do I attach it with the the edges? I've got a compression staple gun to do the wood side with, but what about the other edges? Tent stakes? I've seen 4 and 6" staples as well? Anyone used stakes or staples and made it work?

Attachments

• 20200922_194307.jpg
    20200922_194307.jpg
    728.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200922_194319_HDR.jpg
    20200922_194319_HDR.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200922_194327_HDR.jpg
    20200922_194327_HDR.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 3
Do you mean the anti-dig apron?
Good examples of anti-dig apron installation.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wire-around-coop.1110498/#post-17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

I've got a compression staple gun to do the wood side with
Pneumatic? Runs off an air compressor?

Anyone used stakes or staples and made it work?
I used 6" landscape staples....once the grass grows thru , that'll tie it down.

We plan to move the coop/run in a few weeks. So when I put in the apron, I unrolled the HC curl side down and held it in place with rocks. (Rocks, I love 'em! Free and plentiful!) Then I covered it with weed block fabric and put the rocks on top of that as I unrolled it over the HC.

It didn't stop all the weed/grass growth, but I should be able to take it up and install in the new location.

Back
Top Bottom