Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

In Ionia County, we're far enough inland that lake effect usually peters out before it gets here. We'll see.

I worked with someone who called it "lake defect snow." I envisioned:

Lake Michigan water molecules in the air, crying, "We're tired of just sloshing about as proletariat waves at the whim of the wind! Flake time! We're going inland! Up, up over the dunes! Grand Rapids or bust!"

I'm only about 10 miles for the 'coast'...we definitely can get clobbered here.
I'm within walking distance of the lake (1/4) mile to the north. But depending on the wind direction, I can get lake effect from the west, north, and east. Or nothing at all. Predicting the weather is a crap shoot but it gives us something to talk about. Like the high winds that are predicted for the next 2-3 days. 30 - 35 MPH, or so they say. Power outages are my biggest concern. No power = no well pump. So I keep plenty of water jugs on hand and lots of dry firewood in the house. I do have a portable generator that can run the refrigerator, radio, and coffee pot. One has to have their priorities in order. ;)

Pretty snow tonight and the pure silence of the snow fall. Absolute peace. Love it.

with falling temps...is it cold enough to require protecting the ladies combs and waddles? It is surprising how much time they are spending inside their coop. Is it because of the temps?

I'm within walking distance of the lake (1/4) mile to the north. But depending on the wind direction, I can get lake effect from the west, north, and east. Or nothing at all. Predicting the weather is a crap shoot but it gives us something to talk about.
But here on the 'west coast' lake effect snow is much more common.
Since the weather almost always moves west to east and the prevailing winds are most often westerly.

Pretty snow tonight and the pure silence of the snow fall.
It was pretty. I'd say we got 3-4" new snow.

with falling temps...is it cold enough to require protecting the ladies combs and waddles? It is surprising how much time they are spending inside their coop. Is it because of the temps?
There's really no way to protect combs and wattles.
Only one product that I've seen here to actually work is 'Mushers Secret'.
Anything else before, and especially after, after could just make it worse.
I just leave hands off, it's ugly but has always healed up just fine.
Some of my girls already have a bit of bite on their wattles from noshing on the snow.

Back
Top Bottom