Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

@Mfranks, Yup, I'll be checking the Townline website. I asked Dave (I hate to keep calling him "the guy") at TSC, and he said that they did get Blues from Townline last year. Townline doesn't list them now, but they actually list very few. TSC had only straight run Barred Rock and straight run Cornish yesterday. Dave said they were getting pullets today, but he never knows what breeds they will get.

TSC also had a sign saying there was a 4 chick minimum. 4 is the max I plan to get, so it'll be kind of an all or nothing shot with TSC.

I just went to the Meyer site... no Blue Aussies... Black Aussie, Blue other things.

I am not really ready for chicks yet. No broody (which might not happen, I know), and still cold. I got chicks last year on March 24, and that timing worked pretty well for brooding indoors.
OMG I brooded my girls in my dining room last year....it was cute for about 2 weeks...then everything turned into a dust bath!! I may do them in my basement this year until they are big enough to go into the makeshift brooder in the coop. I have to make a few modifications....admittedly, I hired it to be built and he made it like a coffin. No way to get into it to get the chicks...im sure it was a design flaw on my part but I think he built it for dinosaurs, not chickens:)

A large appliance box, like those for dryers or dishwashers, works great for a brooder. Line it with thick plastic, like a Contractor grade garbage bag.

Probably pretty hard to plow if there are pallets laying around under the snow.

anyone else getting a little stir crazy?
Yup, me too. I don't mind at all being by myself, but I'd like to go out to my favorite restaurant with my favorite friends.

Since I can't do that, I want to work in the garden.

Since I can't do that yet, I want to hang out with my chickens.

Since it's still a bit cold to just sit outside, I'm sometimes at a loss for what to do. Then I take a nap.

Dang, am I well rested at the moment!

What a beautiful day! I was able to sit outside in a long sleeved shirt quite comfortably for a bit. The only problem with this weather is that I get antsy to start gardening! Although.... I am planning on a smaller container garden to start with this year......... I could plan on bringing everything inside/into the garage if it gets cold............
Confused Thinking GIF

A large appliance box, like those for dryers or dishwashers, works great for a brooder. Line it with thick plastic, like a Contractor grade garbage bag.

Probably pretty hard to plow if there are pallets laying around under the snow.
I'll keep checking with work to see if I can score any more of these pallet sized produce boxes.

Attachments

• Brooder2.jpg
    Brooder2.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 0
I can see dirt in places! Lets face it, mud, but still, it's not all ice and snow. And it's almost March, always messy, but not January!
Mary
My mud spots are pretty dry considering the thaw. I'm worried about the thick ice that covers my paths to the garage and coop. Even with the mild temps and sunny days, the ice is still pretty thick and uneven. It is difficult to walk on.
My driveway is even worse. Ice melt runs down the slope, pools , and freezes over.

Even with the mild temps and sunny days, the ice is still pretty thick and uneven. It is difficult to walk on.
I use sand for those...got a shaker bottle to help distribute ahead of walking on it.
Can last a few days before reapplication is needed.
Even so, the small step crone shuffle is the MO for mobility.

Back
Top Bottom