Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Morning all!

question for the group. I have my original 5 ladies that hatched in April 2020. One of them lost some feathers in June and is shedding again now. She is also on and off when it comes to laying which is okay….she’s my Pearl eating olive Egger. When should I expect my girls to molt and how often it happen?

thanks
Chickens molt and grow a new set of feathers 2-3 times before around 6 months of age, those are called the juvenile molts.
Some pullets will have a partial molt their first fall/winter.
Most birds will have their first full adult molt their second fall/winter.

Yes.
I have a couple already dropping feathers.
Ya some of my turkeys are molting started a week or so ago. A few are into it pretty heavy already. I like to see them molting early have had a few start very late and were still half bald when cold weather hit. Probably going to have to get leaf rake out by next week to rake feathers out of some of my pens.

One of the reasons that having a flock including several breeds helps; birds tend to molt at different times. And breeding for high egg production includes selecting birds who molt later in the fall, and who molt fast, or so slowly that they don't halt egg laying.
I'm not motivated enough to select this way either...
Mary

Last edited:
Something i learned yesterday; we just had a few windows replaced, and one French door traded out for a slider. I was not told that the six foot wide slider only has a 28" opening!!! Not an egress door for anyone in a wheelchair, very bad news.
I hope to get something else instead, and would never have bought a slider knowing this.
:mad: :he :old
Mary

OhNo, not again!?!
Isn't your neighbor available, thought they had helped out before?
Yep, once again.

I did have a neighbor stop by to let the dog out and lock up the chickens. Everything was taken care of. But because my phone isn't operational at the moment, it goes to show that written directions need to be available when needed. Everything did turn out well and I was only gone for a day. Everyone should have some sort of plan shared with people you trust in the event of an emergency. My friend will be getting as many free eggs as his family needs.

Yep, once again.

I did have a neighbor stop by to let the dog out and lock up the chickens. Everything was taken care of. But because my phone isn't operational at the moment, it goes to show that written directions need to be available when needed. Everything did turn out well and I was only gone for a day. Everyone should have some sort of plan shared with people you trust in the event of an emergency. My friend will be getting as many free eggs as his family needs.
It is great to hear you are out and you had someone there to help you. How are you feeling?
That is good advice to have a written plan in place in case of an emergency.
Get some rest please:)

Back
Top Bottom