Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

There is no shame on that. I do go to AA, (Ann Arbor) on the 25th October to get my socond shot from hell (shingles) and the dermatologist and should be done by 11 am. M
I'm a good 2.5 - 3 hours past AA. There is no real good way to get here and then for going home. I do appreciate the off though.

I got a couple of phone numbers to call about seeing what assistance might be available in this county. There might be some help there.

Insulation is not really needed....and they will eat it.
What should I place instaead? It is cold in the freaking box like there is no tomorrow. The other morning it was at 45. Is not even winter yet. Advise please

Yes unless it is covered promptly they will obsessively peck it to pieces and likely eat it. Luan works fine for covering it

So far not one peck yet but maybe boredome comes they surely will. Thank you so much. I thought of covering it with plastic or maybe sheetrock? advise please.

Luan works until the rodents move in! And they all love to destroy and eat insulation. Sorry.
Mary

Rodents? yuck! I have not seen one yet but surely they can be out there.

I am not planing on any heating lamps or anything else. Xhub brought a heater but I do not want it inside. I like to sleep at night when possible, so I am not babysitting a heater at night. I barely use the one in the house unless it is like 40 in the thermostat.

Last edited:
What should I place instaead? It is cold in the freaking box like there is no tomorrow. The other morning it was at 45. Is not even winter yet. Advise please
Nothing.
Just because you feel cold, doesn't mean they are. ;)
There should be enough ventilation in the coop that the temps and humidity is about the same inside and outside the coop.

Nothing.
Just because you feel cold, doesn't mean they are. ;)
There should be enough ventilation in the coop that the temps and humidity is about the same inside and outside the coop.
Thanks. Once is light outside, will remove the once I have put in. Good thing I was not finished.

The ventilation is from under roof on 2 sides. East and west. East is kind of against my house. Would that be enough? I also have the area of the fan. It is covered on the outside with a kind of tarp from rv's slide covers but it is not fully sealed. At the bottom, I placed a piece of plywood to cover any drafts. What would you think?

Thanks. Once is light outside, will remove the once I have put in. Good thing I was not finished.

The ventilation is from under roof on 2 sides. East and west. East is kind of against my house. Would that be enough? I also have the area of the fan. It is covered on the outside with a kind of tarp from rv's slide covers but it is not fully sealed. At the bottom, I placed a piece of plywood to cover any drafts. What would you think?
Post pics of the ventilation and we could help.

I agree dream, my first yr with chickens I insulated, put in a heat lamp, then started reading. some people had hens in colder areas then me and just had plastic around the roost and the chickens did fine. It is the draft you need to worry about. Too much is not good. and draft is different then ventilation. :) chickens are birds and do just fine in cold.
Our insulation was covered with ply wood and the mice had a field day living between the walls. We took it all out, no heat lamp, like every one here says, they don't need it and maybe better to not have heat if they are going outside. They are used to the temps and don't go from warm to cold

Dreamz, chickens wear a down jacket, so they can keep themselves plenty warm. We need to keep them dry.

I have some ventilation areas that are just above roost level, facing north, west, and south. It helped keep the coop cooler in the summer, but I know cold winds are going to blow in come next month.

I ordered some sheets of furnace filter material to staple over them. It's an acrylic fiber stuff, about 1/8" thick. Since it's a filter, it's designed for air to go through it, but it'll cut down the draft significantly.

I'll post pictures when I get it put up.

Back
Top Bottom