Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Good morning lovelies!

Can't hardly wait until Monday, 27 hrs and we will be having lunch,lol

Sally, that is awesome news about your girls being completely integrated. On the ones I am thinking of getting, the Wyndottes, the information around is that they are pretty calm chickens. I am not sure if it is true but not yet on the getting new girls.

Anyways, Have been busy.Yesterday the run roof part 2 began and putting tarps up around for winter. Just need to get the hay ($8.50 ea) to cover under coop areas in the south, east and part of north. I should not worry about the west because it is a small hallway between the coop and the house, right?
Here are some pictures of yesterday's work and heading out to see what more can be done.

runroof1.jpg runroof2.jpg runroof3.jpg runroof4.jpg runroof5.jpg runroof6.jpg winterizingtarps1.jpg

The new beige color roofing looks a lot better because it provides a lot of shade for the girls. The side that goes out from coop is all clear which gives them sun light but they will not get wet and the sun is not as bright.

See ya later!
~Hugs~and~Kisses~

You want enough skirting to prevent the wind from flowing or swirling under the coop, so you may want to cover all 4 sides. You can use anything as a wind break, including leftover wood, plastic sheeting or whatever, it's just straw bales are usually cheap - maybe there is a farmer or grain elevator locally who sells them for less than that? That price sounds more like hay bales.

What a beautiful day to be outside!!
I’ve been away from most social media stuff for about a week. Just needed to disconnect.

I hope Randy gets the care he needs to recover. Terrible to hear about his job. I’m sure he misses his critters.

looks like everyone’s been busy starting to prepare for winter. My coop is cleaned an tidied for the winter. Heading to HD today to search for the riffing panels in stall as a wind/snow break. The chill is definitely in the air as @aart has mentioned. Threw another blanket on the bed last night. This is great sleeping weather.
Have a wonderful day everyone.

Sally….didn’t you get panels for you coop?
I bought five 4x8 polycarbonate panel to use for a roof on the run. I ended up with five pieces that were 2.5x4 as left overs. The wall of that area of the run is 4' tall, and the pieces were enough to do the 10' length of that part of the run.

The panels aren't cheap... like $52 each. (Gulp!) But they are very tough, so they will last a long time. And they're rated for 10 years exterior use, UV exposure, weather, etc.

Sally….didn’t you get panels for you coop? I’m looking for panels to use ink place of a tarp. These seem a bit flimsy. I may need to rethink my coop wall strategy. 😖
Michelle that is the same I used for the roof from the coop towards the north side. Then got the beige ones for the rest of the roof of the run to give them more shade. I just need to buy 6 more on the beige to complete the full run. Will take pictures tomorrow of what was done today.
52bucks each? Lowes has them at 24 each 17 for the clear ones.

Back
Top Bottom