Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I don't speak "rooster" but I understand a few words. Just now, Big Boy called "hawk, hawk, hawk". Went out just in time to see a very small hawk dive on a woodpecker. Hawk missed but circled back to try again. Another miss. I'm not sure what kind of hawk it was. It was the smallest one I've seen, not much bigger than a blue jay. I really need a bird ID book.

Chickens and ducks are safe and hiding under the porch.

I'm going out shortly to bring in some firewood before the snow starts. Supposed to get some accumulation tonight.

They are beautiful little birds!
Also Sharp Shinned hawks are small, a bit bigger than the Kestrels. And not as distictively colored.
Mary
I was going to suggest Sharp-Shinned hawk. They look a lot like Cooper's hawks, but are a bit smaller with a rounded head.

Today I dragged some wood out of the woods. A nice 19 foot long oak limb and some nice chunks of red oak. Gotta keep that firewood stocked.
Wood Today.jpg

What is a chickenstock?
A good question. There are several answers. Like mentioned above, It is a gathering of chicken-minded people who post on this thread. It's a picnic and shared pot-luck lunch.
Moreover, it is an opportunity to meet the people who post comments on this thread. That is the best part. Putting a face to those who comment.
Additionally, it is a venue to share, swap, or sell chicken related items. Or non-chicken items like plant sharing, maple syrup, home-made goods, or artistic goods that so many of this thread produce.

Bottom line is this, meet new friends and reconnect with old friends.

Kestrels usually prey on smaller critters like grasshoppers, mice, voles, but will take a smaller bird. Coopers Hawks and Sharp-Shinned hawks are the biggest predators of birds. It would be very unusual that far south, but I have seen a Merlin up here take a starling that was bigger than she was, then pick it up and fly away with it.

Back
Top Bottom