Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Good luck. My male Husky has climbed over a 6 foot chain link and dug under with the previous owner. He was rehomed to us at age 5 and he's 10 now. The previous owner just didn't want him anymore. He's a big lap dog that prefers my lazy boy recliner. He's an escape artist and when he goes he goes. We always get him back but it's a pain. Anyway, Huskies, man oh man. Between shedding and escaping I wonder what were doing.
When they get out they run into the neighborhoods by our house but always run to come back home but often times our neighbors are grabbing them so they can't get back. It's annoying on our end cause we know they are trying to come back home but instead the neighbors snatch them up and call us saying they have them. I get they are trying to do a good deed and help.

My concern is that someone is going to get tired of them running around and call animal control which I would assume they would just bring back to us since they have all their tags but mainly worried about them getting hit by a car. We live on a road with lots of teenagers who are driving and sure they aren't paying attention to the road.

I'm okay with they run around out yard but we are trying to figure out ways on training them to stay IN the yard

Huskies have about a five mile radius they seem to consider 'home range'. Forget about training them to your yard space!!!
Better fencing, whatever it takes, ASAP. It's amazing that they are still alive, sorry.
@Dreamzchaser , it looks great, but are those 2"x 4" supports enough? That framing looks scary to me. Snow load! Have you checked?
Mary

Last edited:
I agree with Mary - no way you will teach them to stay in the yard now that they have learned to run. And as far as the neighbors catching them, better that then hit by a car or shot by an angry neighbor. And dogs that run at large with other dog(s) are much more likely to attack other people's animals - small dogs, cats, chickens, sheep, etc. . That is why there is animal control, to try to prevent these kinds of tragedies.

It is hard to hear, I'm sure, but you might need considerable investment in control, including a tall, sturdy fence, hot wire around the inside, and possibly tie at least one of them up. You could try an proximity fence, but it should be set up to shock when they approach the inside of a regular fence, to keep them from just running past it really fast and avoiding the shock.

Huskies have about a five mile radius they seem to consider 'home range'. Forget about training them to your yard space!!!
Better fencing, whatever it takes, ASAP. It's amazing that they are still alive, sorry.
@Dreamzchaser , it looks great, but are those 2"x 4" supports enough? That framing looks scary to me. Snow load! Have you checked?
Mary
Yes, hub cab go up and holds him better than the chicken run which was made with 2x3

Besides, it has more angle that the chicken run, so snow should not stay up.

Mocha, darling, please do not do this.

Sigh, she is getting a lot of exercise trying to get into the nests. I'm glad it isn't as scorching hot as it was yesterday. Maybe tipping them over is not the best option.

Well, she has stopped all the flapping to try to think through it. She's doing lots of neck craning from all angles. I hope she doesn't just move to the floor under the nests.

This isn't going to work tomorrow. The others will need the nests. And it isn't safe - the angled board is built to set on short side of the crates. I don't have a dog crate.

Attachments

• 0E0CC175-BB9D-46F9-B084-7FBDD8F9B59E.jpeg
    0E0CC175-BB9D-46F9-B084-7FBDD8F9B59E.jpeg
    436.2 KB · Views: 1
  • F22A9FF2-0168-4976-9696-082E033F3079.jpeg
    F22A9FF2-0168-4976-9696-082E033F3079.jpeg
    499.8 KB · Views: 1
I agree with Mary - no way you will teach them to stay in the yard now that they have learned to run. And as far as the neighbors catching them, better that then hit by a car or shot by an angry neighbor. And dogs that run at large with other dog(s) are much more likely to attack other people's animals - small dogs, cats, chickens, sheep, etc. . That is why there is animal control, to try to prevent these kinds of tragedies.

It is hard to hear, I'm sure, but you might need considerable investment in control, including a tall, sturdy fence, hot wire around the inside, and possibly tie at least one of them up. You could try an proximity fence, but it should be set up to shock when they approach the inside of a regular fence, to keep them from just running past it really fast and avoiding the shock.
It's no point since we are going to be moving in a year to make our yard look like a prison. I understand where you are coming from but no matter what huskies seem to be like as wolves or being a big dog, they do not attack other dogs or people. Never have they showed aggression when many times I was surprised they wouldn't. I'm not worried about them being shot either, all the people around here are young parents who don't like our guns. No one shoots around here.

We are going to try the new chain link fence with blocks around the border so they can't dig and signing them up for a dog park and installing some agility course obstacles in their pen along with toys to keep them busy while we are working. By next year we are getting a new house with the object of a bigger yard

Back
Top Bottom