Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Guys, question; this is P2fa who is my great loving leghorn. Pitbull has been with everyone for 3 days and I checked all the mamas to make sure he is not hurting them. I noticed this just now. No blood but no feathers. Is Pitbull mating her?
20221006_112745.jpg 20221006_112754.jpg

And so is P3!?!?
20221006_112901.jpg

They lovelovelove to nosh on the snow banks, which nips their wattles.
When it gets really cold, say 5 above, I put a container of snow in the coop for them to eat, along with their food. Then I close up the people door (which is usually open) and the pop door, and have them stay inside.

I can tell that they don't want to come out, as there are no tracks outside the coop to the water bowl. I don't keep water in the coop, to avoid adding to the humidity, or having a spill.
Guys, question; this is P2fa who is my great loving leghorn. Pitbull has been with everyone for 3 days and I checked all the mamas to make sure he is not hurting them. I noticed this just now. No blood but no feathers. Is Pitbull mating her?
That's probably from a peck. From any of your birds. Combs and wattles are very blood-rich tissue. A little peck can draw blood, which then dries and looks like that.

View attachment 3282574View attachment 3282575

And so is P3!?!?
View attachment 3282576
It is certainly possible that he is breeding her. If you would happen to hatch any eggs out of that cross I would expect them to be a bit smaller than the Leghorn, but they should be excellent layers of medium eggs.

Earlier this week, we had a cock pheasant in our front yard! Exciting, the first we've seen in years.
Then this afternoon, absolutely amazing happened! Our back deck:
IMG_0390 (2).JPG

He came to peck at the patio door! Let me in!
IMG_0400.JPG

He spent a couple of hours wandering around the house, looking in windows, pecking at the other one he could reach, eating stuff, and then left. Obviously a farm raised bird, had no fear of machinery, or us.
The person I talked to at the DNR said pheasants are being released at Rose Lake, a few miles away. Hope he makes it here!
Mary

Well, weather people say near 30's tonight. So, chicken run is covered. Darned, I fought with the wind like crazy to ut that plastic on. Then moved and took the last row of tomatoes plants out and placed them on the burning pile for some day,lol Remaining tomatoes are all over and chickens and ducks are loving them.
Quackies played with my head last night. Last night got them in their run around 5pm but at 7pm pushed them into their house before automatic door closes. Well checked on the chickens that were misbehaving and now the back is a bachelor's pad and quackies came out of the house. Had to go back in and told them home for night-night. They stayed inside until this morning. So I guess I have to say night- night for them to stay in? Knuckleheads, lol

Frost/freeze warning tonight. I picked all the habaneros left on the plant. I'm betting they'll be toast by morning. I want to spread some mulch around, and then plant some kale and spinach in pots in the green house. Do some gardening inside.

I have some naked neck chickens! :lau Man, those poor girls have bare skin and porcupine quills. Snowbird doesn't look like he's molting, except that his sickle feathers are gone, and there are a lot of white feathers around the run.

And, we got a new (to us) car. Finally. I feel a lot better about going to visit friends/family this Thanksgiving.

Back
Top Bottom