Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Msue!!!!
frow.gif

I would do the same thing you did... In fact, I have used antibac oint on my hawked babies eye. She held it shut until the next day. Maybe it needs a night to rest and will reopen in the morning
fl.gif

Ha ha, well I also have 3 boys LOL couldn't hurt to try.

Anyone else?

Last spring I had my son do this when we found a den, they moved after about two weeks, we also raked the dirt every day to see who was coming and going and they didn't like that. A hungry fox will be be out during the day and they just slip in and grab a chicken, I wouldn't free range for a while.

Very foggy this morning. My last week of farmer's market. Which is good it's cold out there in the morning to just sit.

I know a lot of people don't like snakes. My mother is one of them. She is afraid of them, but understands how important they are to a healthy ecosystem, at least. I on the other hand, LOVE them! I am so happy when I find one. I like to admire for a little while, then let it go where I found it.

Anyhoo, I found this little one in the yard the other day. Still not sure of the species. I knew it wasn't a Massasauga (hah, that one is kinda obvious) so venomousity is not a concern. Just a juvie, I am sure. And the belly had a fantastic checkboard pattern! The defensive response was to shake its little tail to imitate a rattlesnake.

This one I know, hah! Just a little garter snake :D
'Smile'

So adorable and vicious!

Two massasagua were caught on video at Matthaei Botanical Gardens. https://vimeo.com/48551532

The pattern looks similar...
idunno.gif

Yea, the pattern definitely is similar. But massie's have a more arrow shaped heads. Even neonates also have a single button on their tail, this one ended in a normal point, and their bodies look quite thick still. I was once lucky enough to find a Massausaga juvenile, and didn't have a camera on me, I admired from a distance. Hognose snakes look kinda similar too, but their head shape is all different too.

Very nice looking snake! I like snakes, and was glad to see a bunch of Garter snakes in my breeder coop in the hay, so I know that they eat the harmful varmints. :D But am afraid to catch them for I do not want them to spray musk on me. :sick And being bitten, even though they do not really have teeth, but still... lol BUT I do not mind touching them. :D

M.Sue -
Nice to see you! I have had good luck using Lipton tea bags for mild eye infections.
I know your hen has an injury so maybe this is not the right treatment but I take a Lipton tea bag and place it in warm water for a few minutes. Then I place the tea bag on the irritated eyelid and try to squeeze a bit of the tea into the corners of the affected eye.
The tanic acid in the tea has helped many swollen eyes heal quickly!
DH had to bring nephew into dr's last month for an infected stye (usually caused by staph), the dr suggested green tea for it's antibacterial properties! I have also heard that it works on pink-eye just as good as prescription medication, so that's what i would aim for.

Makes me wonder if taping a tea bag to a hen's foot would be helpful for bumblefoot...........hmmmm.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom