Michigan, When can I put my chicks outside?

Chickgirl1012

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2018
Alright so my chicks are about 2 weeks old. And we are trying to get our coop ready. But I was wondering when my chicks should be ready to go outside? It’s cold here right now and I know they are too rough now, but how do I know when they are ready? How do I introduce them to being out? How do I keep my chickens in my fenced yard? So many questions!

Attachments

• 2A74CE0A-B860-42A2-97DE-6C0C0E3C5336.jpeg
    2A74CE0A-B860-42A2-97DE-6C0C0E3C5336.jpeg
    470 KB · Views: 62
Aww cute chickies! Usually they are ready to go in the coop at 6 weeks, but if the weather is really cold you might want to wait till they are 7 weeks instead. I'd introduce them to outside slowly over a couple of days.
If you find they are flying over the fence you'll either have to clip their wing feathers or make the fence higher :)

Aww cute chickies! Usually they are ready to go in the coop at 6 weeks, but if the weather is really cold you might want to wait till they are 7 weeks instead. I'd introduce them to outside slowly over a couple of days.
If you find they are flying over the fence you'll either have to clip their wing feathers or make the fence higher :)
I’ll see about building a taller fence. I’ve thought about a privacy fence but we will see I love my view. I just don’t want my little ones to be uncomfortable.

That’s what I was planning to do. I can’t full free range because we are in an area with predators. So I want to build a predator free run for when I’m not home. Then when I’m home and able to watch them let them free range. But we are struggling trying to decide on a coop

Mine arrive a bit later, in early April, and go out to a separate coop section, with their heat lamp, at about three weeks of age. They need the space! This give them a better introduction to my adult birds. When they are fully feathered, at about six weeks, the lamp is off and they start running around with the big birds, still with their own space at night.
It's best to build that coop first!!!
Your chicks will need about two sq. ft. each by next week, and four or five sq. ft. each in the coop as adults, with a much larger attached run.
Don't buy a prefab coop!!! They are too small and flimsy, awful little things.
Go to the Michigan thread too.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom