1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Michigan

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Grammi, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    The weather certainly is condusive to working outside so I guess I just try and straighten up my shop so I can find things again. I'm going to finish a new pipe feeder for the new chicks. The one I'm currently using allows them to bill out most of the feed so there is too much waste. Hopefully the new one will at least inhibit their slovenly eating habits.

2. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    Boy is it raining out! I need to go and feed the chickens.... Oh it is thundering now [​IMG]

Have a good day!

Gretchen my 9 year old is going to see her pen pal, also named Gretchen, this afternoon. Penpal Gretchen was just discharged from the Coast Guard last week and is home for a month. then driving to California and heading to Hawaii. Her finance is stationed there in the Coast Guard.
    They are going to Wendy's for dinner then to see the Music Man together [​IMG] Gretchen is so excited! Penpal Gretchen asked me yesterday on the phone if my Gretchen could be the flowergirl in her wedding next summer [​IMG] My Gretchen is going to be bouncing off the walls when she gets asked, I am figuring today! So much fun!!!!

Keep dry!

Sarah

3. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    Quote:Hi Opa! Your shop always looked clean to me [​IMG]

4. FlyingFChick

FlyingFChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Milford, Michigan
    Thanks Everyone for the great info on transporting the birds to the processor!! I REALLY appreciate all of the extra VERY USEFUL tips from the pros! [​IMG]

I may start looking on Craigslist now for some cheap used dog cages! My hubby really seems to be interested in doing this next year! I like to be prepared!!!

Thanks so much!
    Kim

5. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    [​IMG]Man it's raining hard enough to strangle frogs.

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  6. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    The rain and thunder finally let up here about an hour ago. Actually got a little sunshine.

I hope you get something done so you don't have to get rid if all your chickens Iluvcks.

I was telling my boys about chickenstock coming up. They are really excited.

7. iluvcks

iluvcks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2010
    Bay City, Michigan
    Quote:Don't ignore this folks. Diana is right. We need to organize.

I know I am losing my girls. I found a wonderful home for them where I can still visit them. My plan is to bring my girls home someday. (she said as soon as the law is changed I can have my girls back. All 25 of them [​IMG] They will not leave untill I start getting fines. Just because they won't be on my property anymore does not mean I love them any less.

I am going to fight this. I am writing up an amendment to the zoning law. I will get a petition and have as many folks sign it as possible. I am expecting the first certified letter next week. The Bangor Twp Zoning board meeting is May 18th at 6pm. I will be there. I hope anyone who is serious about the cause will too.

We are not as safe as we think we are.

The Government has taken away the little guys right to produce and provide their family with heathy food. Food that is not full of hormones, antibiotics and chemicals. If they take away that basic right, whats next? Last I checked this was still America. We can't let small town government push us into a corner. They expect a bunch of chicken lovin hippies. We need to be organized and proactive. Mobilize in your communities and change the law. Government officials should see that the PEOPLE they work for want backyard chickens. They are working for us!

I came to realize something yesterday that I have to share with you.

The laws to ban small farms were mostly written in the roaring 20's a time of industry, sexual growth and good times. The 30's brought the Depression. A time where people came together and tried to find comfort in the little things. A resurgence of the backyard flock. The 40's was a time of war. War like most of us can't even comprehend. EVERYTHING was for the war effort. Backyard chickens and Victory Gardens were everywhere. People had to do without or do for themselves. When the President said "Everyone will have to sacrifice and do their part" I was overjoyed. I thought now is the time this country is going to get back on track. Be happy for what we have. Go back to the simple things. But yet were still not there. Its like the country needs to come home again and its just lost its way. In my mind keeping chickens is a simple, green, back to the earth way of helping ourselves and our community get back to whats really important.

I may sound preachy. I do not mean to be. My family are vegetarians. We recycle everything. We try very hard to practice reduce, reuse, recycle. I only clean with natural things. We do not use papertowels, only rags. We do not use pestacides, herbacides, or fertlizer (we have chickens). We are trying to leave as little carbon imprint on the world as we can. And I know that ther is more we can do. Like we are thinking of going off the grid for a couple hours everyday. My government is telling me to go green and lifting me up with one hand, but telling me how I am doing it is against the law and squishing me with the other hand.

I understand that a lot of us just love the birds, and we think they are pretty. But it just doesnt matter, They will make you get rid of yours just as quickly as they are to me, and people before me. Even if you don't agree with everything I am saying, you are on here, you have chickens, you must agree a little. Write to your st rep. Write to your congressman, go to City, and Twp meetings. If we all yell loud enough they will listen. And even if its legal for you does that make it ok to ignore the fact that your sister or brother chicken keeper is illegal. I think not. Do what you think is right. I am sure in the end you will do the WRITE thing. (get it WRITE instead of RIGHT [​IMG])

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  8. Ooopsy_daisy

Ooopsy_daisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    Dryden, Michigan
    VERY well said Iluvcks !!!

Now with that in mind, maybe we need a form letter written up to send to the state rep, senators, townships and congressmen?

I know of 2 people on this forum that have a known talent for writing. Opa and YakLady. (sorry didnt mean to sniff you 2 out LOL) It would be so much easier for everyone to print, sign and mail or better yet send to the email boxes of those persons. As that is what we did with the wolf dog ban here in Michigan a few years back. We didnt win the battle, but they did grand father K9's in with certain confinement requirements instead of them to euthanize all wolf dogs or crosses at animal controls say so. It can work. About 40 of us went all the way to the House level with it. You would be shocked how many laws are passed without us as tax payers and voters to be notified of such laws. Even if you are put on a list to be notified, they only have to give you 24 hour notice via snail mail. So by the time you get your mail, the law is passed. Sneaky SOB's

I can host thus page(s) on a web site without a problem. And I will donate a domain name to the cause. You all pick the domain name.

Diana is right "we need to organize" FOR OUR RIGHTS as farmers!

Anyone from Lapeer/Flint area that wants to go up to Bay City to the township meeting for Suzanne/Iluvcks. Send me a message and we can all ride up together. I'll be there for sure Suzanne!! AS anyone of us could be next. I have fought with my township yearly as they keep trying to turn my farm into residential property instead of AG. I refuse to allow that to happen. I have one father trying to tell me what to do with my land, I sure dont need another.!!!

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  9. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    The sun appearance was sure short lived and now the storms are coming in with a vengeance. Old Jerry is talking about severe storms, high winds, large hail, and even the possibility of tornadoes.

I used the brief respite to attempt to get the drip waterer system installed on the tractor that I'm keeping the chicks in. Almost finished then the rain returned so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

Supper is in a slow cooker and the aroma of pork chops with saurkraut is starting to make my stomach to start thinking it needs to be fed. Blackeyed peas are simmering on the stove and as soon as Hope gets home I'll fixed some corn bread and call it a meal.

10. YakLady

YakLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Detroit area
    Quote:I'd be happy to help if it ends up being necessary. I agree that the Township is out of line. From what I've read, though, the State Laws seem to be in support of family farming. I wouldn't be willing to go after anything larger than the Township unless there's a need. As you saw from my earlier response, the MDA was more than willing to assist me in my time of need. They are much bigger than any Township. I really think that if you just contact someone there for some help, you won't have to go on the attack. Remember, it's always best to resolve conflict peacefully-especially with your community. You want to feel welcome in your home town. Stand firm, but do so politely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by