Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I am starting to "freak out" on the whole incubating thing...this is my first hatch! Due to hatch April 1....surely you have had good hatches Michiganwrangler? PLEASE tell me you have! Or else tell me you have a old, crappy incubator??
I hope your healing process starts and that the sun shines today again and melts some of our snow. Just let the dog out and the snow is frozen (it was -1.5 this morning at 7:30am) so she was happy and could trot across the drifts with no problem. My husband flew in to Traverse yesterday and the snowstorm that hit us...hit NewYork and caused a delay in his plane takeoff which caused him to miss his connecting flight in Detroit. Instead of arriving at 4:35 yesterday afternoon...he came in at 10:45pm....spent the entire day from 9am to 10:45pm on a plane or in a airport. Not a happy hubby.
It is lightly snowing here...SIGH.

Ugh! Airlines!! Last time I missed a connecting flight it was the airline's fault and I basically ended up stranded in Denver overnight. After a very long three day business trip in which I had about 4 hours of sleep total. I was supposed to be flying into Detroit. They had a flight to Midway Chicago going out that night that was only half full, but refused to change me to it because it was a different destination. Refused to comp a hotel room, etc, etc. I ended up paying another $200 for a ticket from Denver to Chicago so I could get home since it would have cost me the same to get a hotel, taxi to hotel, food while stranded there, etc. And then, to top it off, they said they'd switch my baggage (since it too was sitting in Denver), but they didn't and then called when it arrived at Detroit and charged $150 to send it to me. I got up at 6:00 am that day in San Francisco, my flight was scheduled to go out at 9:00am so I was there by 8:00am. Finally flew into Chicago at 5:30 am the next morning and then had to drive/ride home from there. That was probably the longest 48 hours of my life. I got home at 10:00 am, went to bed and didn't wake back up until the next morning.

The last time I dealt with the airlines was two years ago. I had a friend drop me at Metro and I went to check in only to find that my flight was delayed and I would miss my connecting flight which would necessitate a night sitting in the airport in Dallas. I had to call my friend to come at get me and take me back the next morning.

On the return flight I arrive in Chicago just after 7am and discovered my connecting flight was delayed. They kept moving the departure time. At 1230 they cancelled my flight due to bad weather yet another flight left 15 minutes later. They told me to come back tomorrow. After much heated discussion they finally got me booked on another airline but it didn't leave until 8pm.

I had to walk about a gazillion miles to another concourse and proceeded to wait. As I waited I took my dog out of her cage and sat holding her. A stewardess struck up a conversation because of the dog and in our conversation I related my woes. She left briefly, came back and told me to go to a gate where a fully book flight to Detroit was leaving at 4pm. I checked with the gate and was told to plan on flying out on that flight. The agent announced that the flight was overbooked and would someone give up their seat for a free ticket voucher. The plane left at 4 with me on it.

Finally I arrived in Detroit, called my friend and got home about 9pm without my luggage. What was really aggravating is that had I rented a car when I first got to Chicago I would have been home by noon.

Well...there is no doubt about it...flying is a hassle these days. My husbands father passed away (age 97 )in Florida and DH had to fly down for the funeral. I fell and bummed up my ribs on ice on the truck running board two weeks ago and was having a rough time so did not go. Plus...I took care of his rabbits and the dog while he was gone. We live on a seasonal road about 1/2 mile long. He leaves...storm hits...had a plan for a friend to pick him up at the airport since she works in Traverse city.(that way I didn't have to hire someone to plow me out). So...his plane was late coming from N.Y. to Tampa due to our storm hitting there...this made him fly into Detroit late. That made him miss his flight. Luckily...a neighbor had come on his own and plowed me out earlier so I could drive in at 10:45pm to pick himup. He was tired and doesn't want to fly anymore....ironic considering his dad was a pilot. Oh well...he is home safe...he plowed our road out better today and our church parking lot. Hopefully...that is the end to snowplowing this winter.

I'm still wondering what kind of incubator Mom2 had where she lost all her incubating chicks. She never said but it was sad.

Airline horror stories... I have a few the time they put my 16 year old daughter in between 2 drunken German men that kept grabbing her then threatened to throw me off the plane for asking the attendant to move her....The time I got a strip search because I was with a bunch of military that were shipping out to Iraq and they new I was a* safe search*...
Once was flying to Walter Reed after my brother was injured and had to RUN LIKE HELL to catch the connecting flight that the previous airline said was gone already only to wait 6 hours on the floor of the crowded terminal for it to come in..I wont speak about luggage... I hate airlines hate them, only time I will fly is for a emergency ...
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I am starting to "freak out" on the whole incubating thing...this is my first hatch! Due to hatch April 1....surely you have had good hatches Michiganwrangler? PLEASE tell me you have! Or else tell me you have a old, crappy incubator??
I hope your healing process starts and that the sun shines today again and melts some of our snow. Just let the dog out and the snow is frozen (it was -1.5 this morning at 7:30am) so she was happy and could trot across the drifts with no problem. My husband flew in to Traverse yesterday and the snowstorm that hit us...hit NewYork and caused a delay in his plane takeoff which caused him to miss his connecting flight in Detroit. Instead of arriving at 4:35 yesterday afternoon...he came in at 10:45pm....spent the entire day from 9am to 10:45pm on a plane or in a airport. Not a happy hubby.

None. BTW, my incubator was bought last winter new and is a forced air Top Hatch/ Quite nice actually.

Being put in my incubator is a death senrence for eggs. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've calibrated the thermostate and thermometer, keep water in the tray, put the plugs in for lockdown for humidity while leaving one open for some ventiliation, start with a clean incubator and eggs, don't open it more than I have to. Eggs develop, they make it to day 21 and nothing. They all pip and then die regardless if I help them or not. If I'm patient and wait, they die in the shells. If I'm impatient and try to help them out, they die.

My husband died, my one valuable hen died. Everything I put in the incubator dies, I think one of my cherry tree saplings died over the winter ... Just found out that one of the neighbor's--DH's good friend--has a rapidly growing brain tumor and it's only a matter of time before he dies ...

Last edited:
Quote:

None. BTW, my incubator was bought last winter new and is a forced air Top Hatch/ Quite nice actually.

Being put in my incubator is a death senrence for eggs. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've calibrated the thermostate and thermometer, keep water in the tray, put the plugs in for lockdown for humidity while leaving one open for some ventiliation, start with a clean incubator and eggs, don't open it more than I have to. Eggs develop, they make it to day 21 and nothing. They all pip and then die regardless if I help them or not. If I'm patient and wait, they die in the shells. If I'm impatient and try to help them out, they die.

My husband died, my one valuable hen died. Everything I put in the incubator dies, I think one of my cherry tree saplings died over the winter ... Just found out that one of the neighbor's--DH's good friend--has a rapidly growing brain tumor and it's only a matter of time before he dies ...

hugs.gif
I'm so very sorry for what you're going through, but I am concerned about you. Is there someone you might be able to talk to? Are you a church goer? Is there a local pastor you might be able to talk to? Or maybe even a counselor at the school you work at? Can we help you find someone?

As far as the incubator, try a dry hatch -- or even a modified dry hatch. If you want more detailed directions I'd be happy to give them according to what works for me, but you can find lots of info from many sources with a search, too.
smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom