Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Oh, I love all those pretty flowers!! We have several choices of places to indulge in my love of flowers. I want them all! First, I really need to weed, tho. Have had enough of the hot temps the last couple of days, tho. I kinda hope it rains tomorrow so I have an excuse to stay in and chill out!! I'm so tired! Have fun planting your gardens!

Quote:
Oh, I love all those pretty flowers!! We have several choices of places to indulge in my love of flowers. I want them all! First, I really need to weed, tho. Have had enough of the hot temps the last couple of days, tho. I kinda hope it rains tomorrow so I have an excuse to stay in and chill out!! I'm so tired! Have fun planting your gardens!

Well, I bought the rest of my veggies and lots of flowers! There are so many to choose from that it is really hard to choose! It was SO HOT in the greenhouse that my daughter and I made our minds up really fast! Didn't get too many planted though. Did get the veggies in. They will get a good start with the rain tomorrow.

I totally agree about the heat!
somad.gif
I know it's better than the bitter cold and snow and rain, but it is just so darned hard to get anything done in it! Looks like we might have some relief coming our way this weekend!
thumbsup.gif
Maybe we can get our gardens planted then!

Hello all! I am new to BYC and also a new chicken owner. My first set of chicks are a few days away from 2 months and my second set (they are addictive!) is almost 2 weeks. We have quite a variety even though we only have 9 birds. It will soon be 8 as one of my older chicks turned out to be a roo and we bought them for eggs, not breeding. Don't worry-he won't become dinner.
smile.png
Any advice or tips you've picked up over the years would be very helpful and is totally welcomed.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! Whenever there is a problem with the flock I always have difficulty finding help. There was a great local feedstore nearby that always had live birds for sale but unfortunately they closed down last year. Of course the state fair was always a great place to buy and admire poultry but it looks like that is over with, such a terrible shame that is. The carnival and all the unsavory characters that frequented it I could care less for but everything that showed off Michigans agricultural prowess was beautiful and I am going to miss it, I have fond memories of buying our first birds, they were pidgeons, and rabbit with my family when I was a little kid at the state fair. All of my friends used to laugh at me when I got older and wanted to them to come with me to the state fair, I would pay the entry fee and make a straight line to the poultry and rabbit house but as soon as we got in there they were just excited as I was to see all the fancy birds they never knew existed.

But regardless, Quackers absolutely needs some girlfriends as he just won't leave Greg alone, Ms. Peacock certainly needs a mate and the chickens always could use more diversity so me and my little sister will definitely see all of you at ChickenStock. I'm looking forward to it! What can I look to expect?

Thanks again for the accepting me into the flock, it was easier than any of my roosters would have allowed!

-Francis

10233_gardening_fun.gif
Got most of the garden planted yesterday and now hopefully the rain will come as they are predicting. I placed straw around all of the tomato plants and I hope to mulch the entire garden with chopped straw later this week. It will help retain moisture and hopefully reduce the amount of weeding I'll need to do.

Looks like the rain will probably miss us here. Man, I'm exhausted. Tom has been in Japan all week, and returns Saturday for my b-day. Since he's been gone, I've been dealing with the farm by myself. I'm trying to catch up on housework (things like organizing closets and storing Winter clothing) while he's gone, too. Didn't make it to bed last night until about 1:30 am. Since we're not getting rain today, looks like I've go tto haul some buckets of water to the garden (groan).

Sam, so sorry to hear about Granny's little dog. Please give her a hug for me.

Chickenstock is rapidly approaching! That's going to be so much fun. If anyone still wants to sign up on the food list, please click the link in my signature line. To everyone who has signed up, please remember that there has been a request to bring an index card with the main ingredients of your dish listed (for people with food allergies). I'm so looking forward to meeting all of you!

Morning all!
frow.gif
Been busy planting our garden, too. Had the stomach flu yesterday.
sickbyc.gif
As far as stomach flus go -- it was a real doozy! Hoping that the littlest one and my hubby escape from getting it. My oldest brought it home. Yuck! Yuck! Yuck! Glad it's over!

Welcome to the new guys! It's a great place chit chat!

Good morning all. Got laundry going and headed out to plant the last of the flowers that I have so far. The gardens are almost dry enough to start planting the veggies. We had over 3 inches of rain fall last week. We were beyond soggy. That is one good thing this heat is doing it is drying us out fast.

87 in my classroom today. Nothing like teaching 30 hot, sweaty middle school students when it's 87 and there are no windows to open and no air conditioning. I just picture the shady yard and the ducks splashing in their pool, enjoying the nice day. I have to plant remaining veggies on Saturday/Sunday and get the hanging plants. No flower beds to weed - gave that up a few years ago.

Opa, I too was surprised to see Joe Cocker, mainly because he's much fatter. Still sings fantastically though! What a great show that was, and I was very pleased with the result!
wee.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom