Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard from a little birdy (the human type..not the bauk bauk type) that there is a poultry show coming up here in Michigan?!?!? I want to start showing my birds and I'm looking for a little guidance.
big_smile.png
Does anyone have info on this show?
I also want to color-band my birds...does anyone know the best place to get those bands from? I tried to find them on Ebay thinking they would be cheaper on there and I can't even find them at all. Right now I'm using colored zip-ties!
lol.png

Almost forgot!!
big_smile.png
Have any of you ever used shredded newspaper for bedding in your coops? I have an unlimited access to it and I'm thinking of using it but I want to make sure it's nothing they'd eat and die? It's confettii style, not long strips.
Thanks!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Hmmm.. IDK about the confetti cut, but I bought a strip cut shredder online just so I could re-use my newspapers and junk mail for duck bedding/nesting material and it works wonderfully for both! Plus, it'll make for wonderful compost. I used deep litter method but rotate it with pine shavings every other time.

Quote:
I am also interested in showing some of My Doms and will be interested in the answer to the question above. As for the leg bands if zips are working for you go with them. I started with zips and they never have come off of any of the birds I put them on. Then I got numbered bands from Meyer Hatchery they were a bit pricy I thought but I didn't find them much cheaper any were els I got size 11 and and they fit most of my birds. But some times they still manage to get them off. The next time I go to the coop I will see if my sussex still have them on still. I will not be geting any more number bands. I can get a better fit with the zips they do not take up that much room on there leg so you can use more then one zip.

Dawn

Quote:
Hmmm.. IDK about the confetti cut, but I bought a strip cut shredder online just so I could re-use my newspapers and junk mail for duck bedding/nesting material and it works wonderfully for both! Plus, it'll make for wonderful compost. I used deep litter method but rotate it with pine shavings every other time.

I'd bet it would work great. They use soy based ink instead of the lead they used in olden days. I use it in my gardens all the time.

Quote:

I'd bet it would work great. They use soy based ink instead of the lead they used in olden days. I use it in my gardens all the time.

Yeah, I wasn't worried about it being toxic...just that they'd be dumb enough to gorge themselves on it!
gig.gif
I decided what the heck and put some in yesterday and they didn't seem to notice a difference. I did put hay down on top of it too. It's not teeny-tiny paper...just like 2" strips. I have an unlimited supply and thought I'd see how it worked.
I have soooo many plans this summer for my birds! I'm going to put up a new double-coop! And hopefully, with the addition of my new rabbit barn, will be looking for some really nice silkies at chickenstock!
fl.gif
I'd love to find some show quality Bearded blue-splash silkies...I'd be looking for about 6-12 hens and a Roo. (or young pullets and a cockerel)
clap.gif
There's someone in Rives Junction who posts on CL with her silkies and they look fantastic...I might contact her but wanted to see if anyone on here had some nice ones too.
big_smile.png
Speaking of Silkies...since they don't fly do you have to supply perches for them in the coop or just have something for them to go into? Just curious...never had a banty breed before!
wink.png

Quote:
Great idea for all my extra newspapers... I'm also one of those crazy couponers so I accumulate newspapers pretty quickly and just stick them in the recycling bin but I have a shredder and could easily use them in the nest boxes in place of the hay/straw or in my garden.

geez, having so much trouble with sparrows in the bluebird boxes. I was gonna shoot them but i'm too chicken.
lau.gif
and DH only had lead shot. Didn't want the girls to eat it if he missed. A neighbor said to sneak out with a bag and put it over the box after they fly in. ....but then you have to "take care of them" yikes I've been reading so much I'm starting to get sick to my stomach.
Also, I've always hatched but never lived where I could keep my hatches. Now, it's a whole new world with lots of problems. worms?, caponizing?. feather picking?. I love the girls but some of them are turning mean. I think I have to cull:oops: but that's what I mean by getting sick to my stomach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom