Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Built Best Barns built our pole barn 2 years ago. We did lots of shopping around & they had the best price. We've been really happy with quality too. Can't remember who they used for the kit, if you're building yourself try asking them or I'll find out.

Well one of the black silkies is broody but not laying or sitting on any eggs, just nesting in one corner of the coop. She's not too happy abut me checking on her, clucking loud and pecking at me. A few times now she's outright refused to move without having me pick her up and move her.
Should I be concerned if shes brooding on imaginary eggs?

I came home to find two broody hens! my Cochin and buff silkie. The silkie looks fine but oh man does the Cochin look beat up!! Feathers missing, not even getting up for food or water. She's very dedicated!! I also came home to find about 70+ eggs all sitting on my kitchen counter in a huge pile! Thankfully I have most of them sold already.

I also stopped at TSC in Howell on my way home. They didnt really have much that I was interested in, mostly just BOs and asstd. bantams. They did however have Pekins, surprisingly enough, I'm mostly looking for a drake or two, my old ones were killed last year by some predator, while trying to protect the hens.

After TSC, we went home to get settled and went straight back out to Family Farm in Mason and they had a better selection! I got three new "aracaunas," two barred rocks and three grey legorns. I didn't really need any of them, maybe the legorns just so I could have some white egg layers.

So my question is, how long does it usually take for the legorns to start laying? Just a ballpark would be nice.

RIRJen, I have a couple ideas for you. Not sure if you're planning on building from a kit or not. If you're not, keep aneye on Craigslist. I live in Grand Rapids and there is always small 1 or 2 man companies advertising on CL. Also on the GR CL there is often schools that teach building construction classes that are selling the shed or small barn that they built during the school year. They seem to be a little bit more expensive but they are built to residential construction codes and normally have electrical and lighting already hooked up. Another probably more expensive option but really good quality buildings is a place called Michigan Dutch Barns. They are located just outside of GR between Alto and Freeport. Amish made and I know a couple people that have their shed and they are still looking good after a number of years. They also deliver. If you don't want to pay all the money up front they also have a rent to own program. I just realized I am giving you a bunch of GR area things and I never looked to see where you were located. Oh well I hope this gives you a couple ideas for thought. Good luck

Hey RIRJen, I went back and saw where you're from. Secondly I then checked out GR CL and found a couple posts from the same guy you may want to look into. In the farm section I think it was there is a post for Custom Built Sheds and one for Maintenance Free Steel Buildings. They have pictures of both and they look pretty nice. It says to contact Nick at (989) 248-4000. Good Luck

Quote:
Yes they did, but not noo many.

Pete and Sara can special order them for you tho
smile.png

17 Days Until April 1

And *drum roll, please* they're forecasting 50s and low 60s for most of this week.
wee.gif
FINALLY!!!

Eggplant and Lavender are sprouting. I'm going to get tomatoes and peppers started inside today, and get some greens started outside.

And perhaps the best sign of spring yet, the turkeys laid their first egg of the season yesterday.
celebrate.gif

Quote:
Yes they did, but not noo many.

Pete and Sara can special order them for you tho
smile.png

Thanks. I'm going to see if there's any chance they can get me some in the weekend of the swap. Maybe save myself a trip that way...
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks!! Yeah, I already spoke with him...I stuck a "wanted" ad on CL and got a few replies.
smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom