Rescued a Chicken - What do I do now?!

DitoFrito

Hatching
Feb 16, 2024
Hey All,

I am a 29 year old male who lives in North Hollywood, CA and about 2-3 months ago a young chicken walked into my front yard. It was cute and pretty quickly seemed to form some attachment to me. I found the chicken to be surprisingly chill an friendly.

I live in a small house with two room mates around my age. From the start my roommates saw the chicken as an annoyance. But he was so loyal and amicable that I couldn't help but see him as a companion. I put up signs around the neighborhood to see if somebody nearby was missing a chicken. There are definitely more than a couple people with coops in our city. But, nothing. I also tried calling shelters but none of them could say for sure that he wouldn't be killed. I won't lie and say I don't eat chicken, but the chicken and I have formed a bond and I wouldn't feel right putting him in that situation.

I also attempted contacting a few sanctuaries where they don't kill them but I wasn't able to get a positive response.

Long story short he mostly lives in the garage. I've gone through great lengths to supply a good life for him because I really do care about him. After about a month though he started crowing, which is definitely a nuisance to the people living nearest to me, roommates included. I also fear that he could miss out on social development if he's not with other chickens. He's not aggressive, but he is certainly still a chicken.

I really am looking for advice as to what my options are. I don't want to just have him put down. He really does have a unique energy and is super loyal and loving, and smart. But I don't think him living here is a long-term solution. Please help, lol.

Picture is attached. I assume he is a rooster, but I'm still not 1000% sure.

Dito is short for "sonodito", means "little sound" in Spanish.

Attachments

• IMG_6688.jpg
    IMG_6688.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6687.jpg
    IMG_6687.jpg
    556.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6741.jpg
    IMG_6741.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
Sadly, you have an abandoned rooster, that’s likely why no one is claiming it. We had this happen in our neighborhood. People sometimes order hens and get a rooster and don’t have the nerve to put the rooster down themselves so they just drive far away from their house and let it loose. Some folks are good at sexing them before they start crowing. I don’t know of a single city where they are allowed, the crowing will eventually drive everyone crazy. I’m sorry to say that for every hen that hatches there is a rooster, the vast majority of them having to be put down. It’s a huge issue with chickeners. Tech is in development to sex the eggs before they even get incubated to reduce the need for culling.

You have few options. You could take this as your call to buy some acreage in an unincorporated area and begin your transformation into a homesteader. Im only half kidding, this could be an amazing journey. But alas, it would require major changes in priorities many of us can’t swing.

You “might” find an exception, someone who has the space to raise a teeny tiny percentage of the millions of roosters that are born each year, but likely, the rooster will need to be put down.

You are already so bonded that putting him down yourself would surely be a traumatic experience. I would hand him over to your local animal control, or find a humane society that will take him and euthanize him in a humane manner.

A Crow collar is a possibility but are controversial because they prevent the rooster from doing the main thing it was born to do. Some folks say they are inhumane. A friend tried that approach and didn’t have success. That said, you are motivated and have been struck with the presence of an animal which can lead to magic things.

Trying to keep him indoors would take substantial adjustment and is not likely to be successful.

I’m sorry you are faced with difficult choices dealing with this creature that has bonded with you and you with it.

Thanks for sharing your story, it is very sweet. I wish you well on this journey.

Last edited:
He may have been abandoned when the previous owner realized he was a rooster, since many communities don’t allow them. I would advertise him on your local sales sight online and on any bulletin boards. Ask friends at work if anyone would like him for a pet. You cannot really dictate what will happen to him once he is gone. I have rehomed extra young roosters when someone would take a few hens. Having extra Roos is always the downside to hatching chicken eggs at home. That is why I don’t do that any more. Even if someone who butchers chickens will accept him, he won’t be abandoned in some park or used in fighting, which is where some end up.

Hey All,

I am a 29 year old male who lives in North Hollywood, CA and about 2-3 months ago a young chicken walked into my front yard. It was cute and pretty quickly seemed to form some attachment to me. I found the chicken to be surprisingly chill an friendly.

I live in a small house with two room mates around my age. From the start my roommates saw the chicken as an annoyance. But he was so loyal and amicable that I couldn't help but see him as a companion. I put up signs around the neighborhood to see if somebody nearby was missing a chicken. There are definitely more than a couple people with coops in our city. But, nothing. I also tried calling shelters but none of them could say for sure that he wouldn't be killed. I won't lie and say I don't eat chicken, but the chicken and I have formed a bond and I wouldn't feel right putting him in that situation.

I also attempted contacting a few sanctuaries where they don't kill them but I wasn't able to get a positive response.

Long story short he mostly lives in the garage. I've gone through great lengths to supply a good life for him because I really do care about him. After about a month though he started crowing, which is definitely a nuisance to the people living nearest to me, roommates included. I also fear that he could miss out on social development if he's not with other chickens. He's not aggressive, but he is certainly still a chicken.

I really am looking for advice as to what my options are. I don't want to just have him put down. He really does have a unique energy and is super loyal and loving, and smart. But I don't think him living here is a long-term solution. Please help, lol.

Picture is attached. I assume he is a rooster, but I'm still not 1000% sure.

Dito is short for "sonodito", means "little sound" in Spanish.
If you want to keep him I suggest that you get a coop in the garage to put him in at knight at get him a few hens. Not sure on breed but looks like a gamefowl cross. They are good in pairs.

You could post your situation, along with pictures of 'Dito, here on BYC in the "Buy-Sell-Trade" forum. Be sure to include your (general) location in the subject line to best get the attention of folks in your area. Chickens are very cool, very smart critters. Good luck with re-homing your new friend!

Back
Top Bottom