GuthrieHomestead

Hatching
Jan 8, 2024
So I’ve had chickens now for almost 2 years. In that time I’ve had to treat them for mites and for worms once and I’ve lost a couple mysteriously, but mostly they’ve been healthy. Overall we try to give them good food, vitamins, and keep their area clean so that they stay healthy. Among my flock is an almost 2 year polish rooster. He is very lively and protective of the girls, almost annoyingly so. He will sometimes try to attack us humans when we go out there to care for them, only when our back is turned of course. While it’s a little funny it’s also annoying but just because he’s annoying at times doesn’t mean I want him sick or hurting. Yesterday he was fine and was running around and being his usual self. This evening though I went out to take care of them and put them up for the night and noticed he was laying down kind of hiding behind something which I’ve never seen him do. My husband picked him for me to look at and I could see that while his scales looked fine, in the feathered part of his leg there was some redness and possibly missing feathers. He also had poop on his tail like he pooped but was too weak to lift his tail while he did it. I need to inspect his tail further to see if I can see any worms or anything like that. However when my husband sat him close to the water bowl he took a few little shaky steps and then just stood there. He wouldn’t drink or anything and he would shake his head and I noticed he was sort of shivering. Not like crazy shivering, it was almost imperceptible. I don’t know what to do. He may not be my favorite of my flock but I don’t want him to be in pain and I definitely don’t want him passing anything to the rest of them. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with him? It’s just so weird that all the sudden he is like this. Yesterday he was running and eating and drinking and being silly. Any help you can give will be appreciated. We do have some penicillin and something for worms that I could give but I don’t want to treat him with the wrong stuff.

Do you have any other roosters who might have hurt him? Could he have sprained his leg? Could you post some pictures of him and the redness on his leg? I would continue to offer some electrolytes or sugar water, plus some egg or tuna and and watery chicken feed. I would observe him closely and maybe separate him in a dog crate with food and water so he can rest.

So I’ve had chickens now for almost 2 years. In that time I’ve had to treat them for mites and for worms once and I’ve lost a couple mysteriously, but mostly they’ve been healthy. Overall we try to give them good food, vitamins, and keep their area clean so that they stay healthy. Among my flock is an almost 2 year polish rooster. He is very lively and protective of the girls, almost annoyingly so. He will sometimes try to attack us humans when we go out there to care for them, only when our back is turned of course. While it’s a little funny it’s also annoying but just because he’s annoying at times doesn’t mean I want him sick or hurting. Yesterday he was fine and was running around and being his usual self. This evening though I went out to take care of them and put them up for the night and noticed he was laying down kind of hiding behind something which I’ve never seen him do. My husband picked him for me to look at and I could see that while his scales looked fine, in the feathered part of his leg there was some redness and possibly missing feathers. He also had poop on his tail like he pooped but was too weak to lift his tail while he did it. I need to inspect his tail further to see if I can see any worms or anything like that. However when my husband sat him close to the water bowl he took a few little shaky steps and then just stood there. He wouldn’t drink or anything and he would shake his head and I noticed he was sort of shivering. Not like crazy shivering, it was almost imperceptible. I don’t know what to do. He may not be my favorite of my flock but I don’t want him to be in pain and I definitely don’t want him passing anything to the rest of them. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with him? It’s just so weird that all the sudden he is like this. Yesterday he was running and eating and drinking and being silly. Any help you can give will be appreciated. We do have some penicillin and something for worms that I could give but I don’t want to treat him with the wrong stuff.
That’s odd, a pic or video could be helpful. When is the last deworming? Clean coop? Any weird treats or new roaming space? It could be something internal, or the leg. Is it swollen? Is he limping, and do you have other roosters ?

Things that come on suddenly often have an environmental cause. Where are you and what has your weather been?

If he takes a sudden turn for the worse, give him warm sugar water and electrolytes immediately to stabilize him.

Contaminated feed and water, unsuitable treats, compost material, insecticides, rodenticides, petroleum distillates such as paint thinner and motor oil or coolant all must be looked at.

Back
Top Bottom