Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Sounds good to me! This week and next are midterms for me so I'm cramming all weekend but sometime at the end of next week sounds good to me! I'll let you know. Just have paper towels ready for all the poop squirting.

@Olive I'm not really sure when he'd want to get the geese/ probably sometime soon. I haven't looked into the different breeds or anything like that. Perhaps I should do that before I decide to just get whatever breed is out there?? lol

Got about a dozen or so EE eggs in the 'bator even though I picked up about 16 chicks from Family Farm these past two weeks, got a little too itchy with my hands and candled early, two developing so far. I might throw a few out just bc they look a bit too porous for my liking. The DH is letting me go carte blanche with all fowl and chicks this year bc I'm actually selling all of my eggs. I don't think he knows what he's getting into. So by the fall I should have a whole new flock of chickees
smile.png

Question: What does everyone do with their 3+ year old hens? I have about 9 or so EEs that are coming up to that time or are probably already there. I'm more of the "you should be earning your keep" kind of chicken owner. I'm satisfied with around 3 eggs a week from each gal and I don't think a few of the older girls are keeping their ends of the bargain.

Quote:
LOL! Might be a good idea... Just so he knows geese are seasonal layers so eggs will generally only be available now through late spring, give or take, and goslings will be available soon through early summer for the most part. As far as breed you have your different categories of geese but then within the categories differences are pretty negligible. Your swan neck types, such as Africans and Chinese, tend to be louder, more aggressive and don't dress out as well if you are interested in meat. They do tend to be rather prolific layers, White Chinese being the most prolific of all geese, for instance. Then you have your farm type geese which can be further broken down by size. Embdens are the largest and most common, they're the all american white farm goose that people usually think of. Then you have Toulouse, Americans, Pilgrims, Cotton Patch, etc, etc. They dress out nicely, are generally more docile than your swan neck types, but aren't quite as prolific as a whole and the larger types tend to have lower fertility. And then finally you have your ornamentals, these vary greatly in size, are generally pretty pricey to buy and aren't particularly known for their weeding, meat qualities or prolific laying abilities.

Other than that Metzers has a decent chart where you can compare the more subtle differences -- average body weight, number of eggs per year, fertility rates, etc.

As for the hens, they make great soup, sausage, etc.
wink.png
Ours never get that old, but I know others that process out at that age and have even helped a friend with hers. They all agree, they taste great. I've taken to not even bothering with plucking for spent hens; just take out the breast and thighs and the rest is left as a peace offering to the predators out in the woods.

Quote:
Geyer's Small Animal Swap Meet is Sunday March 27th at 12:00pm

Sellers - $10 fee lets you park your vehicle and trailer and buy, sell, or trade any small animals
Buyers - FREE Parking, FREE entrance - Simply show up and browse vendors' selections of chickens, pigeons, guinea hens, peacocks, rabbits, goats, sheep, cattle, dogs, cats, and more.

Geyers Farm Service
3040 Dietz Road
Williamston, MI 48895
(517) 655-6343
Just off Grand River 1 mile west of M-52

Upcoming Events:
March 5th • Hay & Small Animal Auction EVERY Saturday Hay sells at 10:00 am, Animals at 11:00 am
March 6th • Horse Tack Auction - 1:00pm, Consign your used tack! New tack auctioned will furnished by Outback Stable.
March 20th • Farm Equipment Consignment Auction - Used tractors, trailers, hay equipment, vehicles, RV's, gates, posts, fence, tools, implements, attachments, etc.
March 27th • Small Animal Swap Meet - 12:00pm

Posted by: State: MI Zip: 48895

I've never been to Geyer's before, but I would make the 104 mile trip if I could pick up 6 or 8 BCM chicks. That's all I really want and would hate to make the drive if they don't have any. Anyone know if anyone will be selling BCMs and a ballpark on the cost? I looked at their web site but it doesn't tell me too much.

Here in Clay Twp. we got snow, rain, hail, snow, sleet, rain, hail, snow, sleet, rain, snow, hail, sleet, snow, hail. . . well, you get the picture. My satellite is not getting a signal at all, so thank God for the PC!
caf.gif

Or I can always go out to the coop (constant 72 degrees in there!), pull up a chair and watch the chicks.
jumpy.gif
love.gif

Quote:
Parts of Kalkaska county got 14 inches...I think we have about 12 but they are calling for 1-3 more for tonight....I'm thinking we should have bought farms down in SOUTH Michigan...how about you?
hmm.png

No, I like northern Michigan, even if I have to put up with a few snowstorms. We probably got close to a foot here. No school tomorrow either!
celebrate.gif

Quote:
Too funny! I had to watch it 3 times! I especially liked the chicken in the backgound who had to get one last peck in for good measure!
lau.gif

Olive,

I've noticed we've been lax on our April 1st Countdown.

7 more days!

Although it's not very exciting when there's 13 inches of snow outside and 9 degrees out!

We only got a little rain here. I was afraid we'd have ice in the morning, but that didn't happen either luckily! (it's 22 degrees) The weather looks like it's going to start warming back up again though so thats always encouraging!

I brought the ducklings in the house again lastnight. They're so darn cute following me around, their little feet plippity plopping on the hard floor as they run. Too cute!

I'm rehoming my buff orpington chicks with my DSIL, I have too small a coop to have all the birds I do now.

Added: Does anyone on here want to adopt an 8 yr old cat. She's declawed, spayed and indoor only, she says she's got a great disposition and no bad habits. Her momma died the other day and the woman's daughter is trying to find a home for her. Techumseh area. PM me if you're interested.

196797_1941553058756_1240336799_2379609_474957_s.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom