Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Congrats! Thay are lovely. I had to read this twice because I was wondering why you wanted to give these girls "red drawers". [AKA in my world as underwear]
lol.png

DRESSER drawers, DRESSER drawers! hahahahaha somebodies garbage repurposed. I have some ideas for tomorrows work, then I'll shoot a photo and post it...getting rain now, whew, I just got everybody in lock down.

He is too cool, He thinks he is KING but the girls push him aside. At first they thought he was Elvis but now they just poo poo him and think he is pretty arm candy. I am greatful my neighbors think he is the bomb and enjoy his pathetic crowing. The nedighbor's grandrand kids got a big thrill to pet him and see a rooster up close. I have been blessed with great neighbors.

Quote:
woot.gif
That is great!

Quote:
Ummm.... Maybe my chickens have a throwback gene to tyrannosaures Rex. With 8 birds I've gone through 50# in just a couple weeks. Now I have chick and duckling food also so I'm not keeping track. Plus lots of treats.

I HAVE BABIES!! Two little chickadees hatched today, four more eggs under momma. I have a black baby with a bit of yellow under its wings and a yellow with black stripes. I have no idea what they are. I had some delawares, EE/delaware cross and some mutts under there (RIR and BR mixed with a pheonix) SO excited no matter what they are. this is my first time hatching under a broody!! whooowhooo!
ya.gif

Quote:
congrats on the new babies. How exciting. I have never hatched anything but am getting set up to try next spring. In an incubator though, I won't be sitting on the eggs myself.
roll.png

scratch'n'peck :

Hey there sj!

I just noticed Grandma chicken's pic of her sweet hen today. I hope the transition for Bobbi goes well.

Thanks for the vet info.

There is also a vet at Cedar Animal Hospital, Dr Nuata who looks like he sees birds. I was thinking of taking my cat there, too. If anyone in the area happens to know anything about his vet practice, please let me know.

Hello! Chicken Grandma here! I took a hen to Dr. Nauta in Cedar Springs. He is very nice but I felt that he had a different philosophy than I did. I took an 7 year old hen in with a scab on her chest and he wanted to do surgery. I did not agree. So I went to Animal Clinic and they gave me a jar of cream which I put on her breastbone for a couple weeks til the chest healed and the scab fell off. That felt more comfortable to me. I heard there is a lady at Cascade Animal hospital who is good with birds and a lady at Georgetown Animal hospital who is also good with birds.​

ello all, been a very busy time here, my garden has exploded, I can hardly keep up with it, I have never had such gorgeous tomato plants, but i have been working on this veggie garden plot for over 7 years now, when we moved here it was 4 inches of sand over hard pan clay, tomato plants are almost 5 feet tall, and loaded, I am making huge batches of sauce for canning, chickens love the skin and seed left overs. I have a secret recipe for a zucchini pie, I think I will share it with my BYC friends.. I will post it tomorrow, its been in the family for 3 generations, (the recipe ).
Take care all stay dry
smile.png

I'm depressed. I don't get it.

I hatched some chicks that belonged to my friend, and some that belonged to me. I know chicks can be sensitive, but it seems like something is going on.

One of my friend's chicks hatched with major leg deformities and wouldn't open it's eyes.
Then another one of hers hatched and it seemed fine, running around, then an hour after feeding all the chicks, it was on it's side...dead.
Today, one of mine that was a standard sized chick was fine for a week. Today it was eating, jumping around, acting totally normal. Then earlier tonight Aric pointed out it looked like it was gasping for air. A half hour later it was on it's side...dead.

Could there be something wrong with the flock? Checking my charts, the hatching before this we lost 5 out of 28, all within a week. Is this normal? I have gone 8 rounds of hatchings (2 incubators) and have had some not finish hatching which I know is normal. 6 of those didn't have any chicks die AFTER hatching.

I know there could be any number of reasons this is happening. How do I find out? Can I find out?

This is it for me for the year. I'm barely getting any eggs now anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom