Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow, Im not keeping up[ here either lately, sorry. Had 2 batches of companies today.
First my sister came at 3, she had an appt to have her shepherd mix Sadie put to sleep, having bad kidney health and it was time, so instead of letting them charge her another $110 for the cremation of the dog, I let her bury her here in our "doggie cemetery" out behind the barn. Sad day. But then we grilled some burgers and corn on the cob and picked a bouquet from my yard to lay on Sadies grave.
Second my son and his family. whew, we finally got home at 10:20 pm and my poor chickens were huddled in different bunches around the yard cause no one home to get them all taken care of tonight. Only the Chante's put themselves into their hut, they're such good kids, and the 2 Brahmas and One barred rock were in their coop. I had to hunt the others down by flashlight and get them taken care of. I feel so awful for not being home.
I haven't seen those worms on my tuhmaters yet, but I guess if they turn into b eautiful beneficial moths I'll save them on over to one plant and let them have it and let th em live. Glad for the education.
Welcome and warm Michigan hello to all the newbies.
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Does anyone know where Holly village limits lie? Is Holly chicken friendly?
fl.gif

We found a house with a lot of potential in the Holly area, it already has a small outbuilding that looks like it's part pole barn / part animal barn, on 6 partially wooded acres, a nice house in need of a few minor repairs on the outside, but we haven't seen the inside yet. We're going to call our relator tomorrow and get an appointment to see in the house, it appears to be vacant so that shouldn't be too much trouble.

A problem has come up when I looked into village ordinances which say one can keep a maximum of 3 chickens (we have 7 right now), no goats at all (something BF wants the larger property for), and has a separate ordinance banning loud animals meaning no roosters (which complicates possible breeding).
Now I am not sure if this property lies within village limits or not. Demographics say the village is 3.1 square miles in area, and the place we are looking at is roughly 3 miles from the map center of town (using Google Earth to approximate distance from town). If the property isn't in village limits then it falls under Rose Township ordinances (right?), which has only ordinances about dogs and dangerous animals.

barnie.gif

House hunting has been a pain in the butt. Every time we either find great land with a crap house, a great house with crap land, or exactly what we want but it's too far away from BF's work place. He'd rather not add more than 10, maybe 20, minutes to his drive to work, and a few of the great places we found would have added an hour or more to his drive.
he.gif

*Edited the township name.*

Last edited:
Quote:
Awesome!
smile.png
I had one that flew the fence yard a few weeks back. I was so upset and she was gone most of the day. DH said don't worry because chickens have a great homing instinct and she'll be back when she's hungry or it gets dark. Sure enough, my DS found her later trying to get back in.

Quote:
You need to take the parcel number (off the tax info) to the county treasurer
and ask them in what governmental district it lies (ie Holly or the Township)
That is the simplest and most accurate way, and then you have
proof if a neighbor makes a complaint
wink.png

Quote:
:: scratches head :: Leopard?
lol.png

yuckyuck.gif

I will be headed to Destiny Farms on Saturday, if they have silkie chicks. UNLESS- RIRJEN plans on sending her babies my way. My plan is to stick a couple under each broody hen and get it out of their system.
I am not picky. Just want silkies, showgirls...lol. Fuzz balls. My husband saw the Frizzle yesterday and said, "oh I forgot we had that one"...enough is enough. If I give em each a couple babies to dote on, then that should take them til the snow flies..

My noisy geese are outside throwing a fit- have no idea why. They sound like a bunch of donkeys.
One is limping. Penelope- the one we got from Krisrose at Chickenstock. I hope its nothing serious. She trips over everything- she doesnt look where she is going, never looks down at the ground, lol. Also, she has started her attempt at flying. Very funny- she gets about six inches off the ground and goes about four feet at a time.

I am going to speak to a million four year olds on animal safety today. Wish me luck.

So many new faces! It has been a long time since I posted. How is everyone? It is hard to belive summer is almost over. Chickens are doing good, and we hatched 8 more turkeys this year. Gardens got in late due to so much rain this spring but we are finally getting veggies. Tomatoe plants are so loaded!! We will have more than enough for canning. We were approved for a greenhouse high tunnel thru the NRCS. Does anyone have any experiance with this? I am looking at ordering in the next week or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom