Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered my chicks from Townline Hatchery and as long as you pick them up there is no minimum. I ordered 15, but they gave me 25 - so if you don't want extras make sure you say something.
I would love to go to Chickenstock, but it would be quite a drive - about 3 hours or so. I'm still debating it. I would really like to know what kind of chickens everyone will be selling as I'm looking for cochins. Any one around the Grand Rapids area selling any?

I live in Auburn Hills, I am looking for someone within driving distance to buy some fertile eggs from. I recently bought over 40 eggs from two different people. They shipped them and after the second candling, I am now down to 10 eggs. I am very disapointed. I know it isnt the fault of the senders, they wrapped carefully. Getting eggs thru the mail just isnt the way to go. Does anyone have any fertile eggs to sell in Oakland County or surrounding area?

Wow!!! I had no idea there were chicken lovers close to where I am at. I actually live in a subdivision in northern Oakland County, but we decided to try and raise chickens anyways (son and husband are allergic to dogs and cats so we are going to have pet chickens instead). It is such a treat to watch them grow. The kids help take care of them daily and all the neighborhood children like to visit with the birds. I just recently registered but have been reading from this site for over a month and find the information soooo helpful. THANK YOU to all you experienced (and even not so experienced) chicken parents for offering up so much valuable information.

Hi Oakland Countyers,
I live in Clarkston, just down the road from y'all. Upland Hills Farm sells fertile eggs. Try them. Also, the Oakland county 4-H fair is next week. I'll bet some of the kids from the poultry club would sell you some eggs. Call the Oakland County 4-H office they can put you in touch with some of the poultry families. Good luck. Let me know if you need any other info. I can try to track some down for you. Also, not sure about this, but Hess-Hathaway farm may sell you some eggs. They are located in Waterford.
Melanie

Just noticed someone is looking for chicks. My "chicks" were hatched this spring - April and May, so they are not little anymore. I have far too many roosters but I'm still waiting to see who is actually a roo and who is a hen. I will need to sell some of them. Let me know if you need a roo. I know for sure that I have two bantams- a buff brahma and a light brahma roo that I will sell. I would like to get what I paid for them $3.00 each.-just a little something. This chicken adenture gets expensive.

I am in the Thumbpit of the Mit, Madonna's home town (well close enough to it -actually the outskirts of town)

I have been raising chickens for over 5 years and have finally calmed my addiction a bit. I can walk away from chicks without buying any, usually, lol.

I have Welsumers, Blue, Splash & Black Orpingtons, a pair of Blue Laced Red Wyndottes, young Ameraucuanas - mixed colors, really neat, not show birds but Easter Eggers. I will be getting out of Orpingtons end of this summer and I am looking for some Marans. I don't need a roo, I don't want to breed or show them, just the dark, dark eggs. I don't care what color the adult birds are, just dark eggs.

I love to give a dozen eggs to one of my co-workers (from inner city Saginaw, whre I teach Head Start preschool) and see their reaction to all the colors! I will be getting some polish this fall to round out the rainbow with some white eggs.

Mine is strickly a backyard flock. I have gone through the fever of specific breeds. Just want to sit and enjoy them now. We actually have been known to put out a lawn chair and just watch the birds. I can't free range them because of the idiot neighbors dog. But my birds seem happy.

There is a very large poultry show in Frankenmuth this fall, October 13th & 14th. Its called the 'Grandpa Tiny's' Frankenmuth Fowl Fest. It is being put on by the Michigan Fowl Fanciers formerly the Bay City Poultry Club. It was awesome last year. IF you live too far for a days drive, you can stay in town. There is a splash water park/hotel called Splash Villiage that is Frankenmuths answer to Great Wolf Lodge. There is always tons to do in that town and good fudge shops too, yum! Great place to find poultry breeders. Website should be FowlFest.org and its free to go and walk around. Grandpa Tiny's is a small adorable local petting farm that is underwriting the show. Last year it was just the Frankenmuth Fowl Fest. I have a PDF of the show flier if anyone wants one, just get me your email addy.

I would like more info on the 'chicken lovers party' that is in August. I remember this from long ago and can't believe its still rolling. Is this a swap/sale too?? Who's hosting it? Where is it held?? Who can I contact??

Anyone on this list on the yahoo groups Mi_Poultry Lovers site?

Diane aka MrsB

The 4-H fair runs from July 9-15.

Monday:4-H youth day, Drill team competition, Family Fun Karaoke.

Tuesday:Ladies Day, Royalty & homemaker of the year presentaions. $10 ride special. Bullmania Rodeo.

Wednesday: Kids Day, Horse Jumping Events, Figure Eight Race.

Thursday:Oakland County Parks and recreation day. Special Needs Day, Demolition Derby.

Friday: Senior Day/Toddler Special Ride Program, Small Animal Sale, Show & Shine, Ugly Truck Contest.

Saturday: Health & Safety Tent with Free Health Screenings and Safety Activities, 4-H large animal sale.
Championship Figure Eight Race.

Sunday: Family Fun Day, Open Horse Show, Heavyweight Horse Pull, Dog Activities, Classic Car Show.

Daily Atractions (Tues-Sun) Playworld Carnival, Racing Pigs, Miracle of Birth Barn, 4-H exhibits.

another SW Michigander here (Holland). I just got four chicks this spring (a RIR, a Buff Orp, an Australorp, and a Barred Rock). I can't WAIT for them to start laying!!!!!

I'm looking forward to getting two more pullets next spring. I'd like an Easter Egger and something else??? Possibly a Brahma, Sussex, or Wyandotte. If anybody wants to sell a couple of pullets next spring, let me know!

Here's a picture of my hen house. The kids were way too big for the play house, and it was being taken overr by wasps! We cleaned it up and converted into a combo garden shed/hen house. (The little red barn is the nest box.)
gardencoop.jpg

and my girls:
rustyngirls.jpg

Hi ,I am doing Michigan Chickenstock this year and it is Aug 4th(first sat in aug).Everyone is welcome,birds and people! My zip is 48074( if you want to check miles) and I live in Kimball Twp.It is about 15 mins outside of Port Huron.I am doing hot dogs,coffee and pop and some sides and a big chicken cake.Bring a dish to pass and a lawn chair or 2 if you have room.If you have birds,eggs,babies or anything youd like to raffle or sell...For my street address E-mail me at: [email protected]

Horsewishr your coop is just too cute! Im going to try to go to the Frankenmuth if i can get time off,what days are you all going?

More on the 4-H fair. It's a great little "small town" fair. We live 10 min. from the fairgrounds and have gone for the last 5 or six years since the kids were 2 and 3. I'm the fair lover-in my heart of hearts-depths of my soul-I'm a country farm girl -grew up with a horse/60 chickens/ducks/goats-and I can hardly wait for the little old 4H fair every year!!! I hope at least one of my three boys will grow up with the love of country like I have. We just moved onto 6 acres and it was like coming home to me a after living in subdivisions for the past 20 years. Anyway, enough of that.
It is a fun little fair. I think you can google something like Oakland County 4-H fair 2007 and the website should be there somewhere. One day, can't remember which, they have a poultry fashion show. They have lots of horsey events. You can usually get free rodeo tickts on line. I usually drag my boys to that. They also have a demolition derby, Monster trucks and figure 8 races which are fun. Even if you aren't into that we started going to them a few years back and they are pretty amusing. Also, call the 4-H extensions office in Oak. Co. I think it's listed in Waterford, or maybe Pontiac. They can give you all the info plus if you want to sign up for 4-H, that's the place to do it. They have a 4-H Discovery Day in May at the fairgrounds(in Springfield Twsp/Davisburg)(It's the Dixie Hwy. exit, about 7 min. off I-75 to W. on Davisburg rd.) We spend several hours there each year. There are a lot of activities and several of the 4-H groups are there to answer your questions about what their group does. Watch for it.
Also, FYI -the Armada fair is fun, too. It is a little bigger and they have great stands for their demolition derby etc. If you are a country music fan, I think Rodney Adkins is there this year. Last year it was Billy Currington(or was that the year before??)Try to google "Armada Fair 2007".

See you at the fair!
Melanie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom