Michiganders-Bantams in winter- advice please

Carrie Lynn

Songster
Aug 30, 2010
S.E. Michigan
I live in S.E. Michigan in Washtenaw Co.
Has anyone had experience housing Bantams in winter?
I have one Bantam Leghorn pullet, 1 /standard Australorp, and 1 standard RIR (the standards are 8 wks., Leghorn is 5 mos.). I am concerned about my Bantam dealing with the winter temps.
After reading many posts on the subject, I would rather not heat the small 4x4 coop I'm building. If I insulate the coop will my Bantam be okay? At this point she does not cuddle with the larger birds, I hope she might if she gets chilled. Currently she is sharing her night time cage with them, and bosses them around. She always leaves a space between herself and the BA, won't roost next to the RIR. Any advice would be appreciated!
Carrie Lynn

Opa- Thank you for your reply. I feel much better having heard from someone in the area. I recently read that bantams are uncomfortable in temps below 40, so I was very concerned. I neglected to mention that my Leghorn is very small, much smaller that the Btm. BR I rehomed. What kinds of bantams do you keep? Any Leghorns?
Are Leghorns in general (standards too) more sensitive to the cold as they are lean birds? That seems likely.

Thanks,
Carrie Lynn

Last edited:
Carrie, the only bantam I know of that would have problems with the cold would be seremas. I currently have bantam spangled hamburgs, vorwerks, and blue orpingtons.

Back
Top Bottom