Micro Farm Coop Worklog [UPDATE: SHINGLES ON - PAGE 27]

At my local landfill/dump there is a Haz/Mat drop off station where people can drop off unused paints, stains and cleaning supplies. If it's useable they put it on these big racks and 3 days a week the place is open to the public to come and pick out what they want. It might be mis-tints or funky colors, but last time I was there, they had 5 gallons of a really pretty color I was thinking of gettin for my living room.

I'm going to go get whatever color oil-based paint they have cause the coop floor doesn't really "need" to be pretty.

And it's way cheaper than retail.
thumbsup.gif

Michelle

Darkwolf. great job and thanks for all the ideas
for my new addition to my oldercoop and run
I was thinking of useing some vinyl stickm tiles left over ,

for the coop floor,
I thought it may be a good insulator.from the cold and wetness.

I'd recommend against the 12x12 or what ever size stickie tiles. The bulk consensus is that they start peeling relatively quickly and then end up having to be stapled down.

You'd be much better off getting some full sheet remnant from Lowes or such.

Who says I don't have my priorities straight, eh? I know what to do with my time... So... Today was a really nice day and I decided to spend some time on the coop.

So what did we get done?

Windows?

Roof?

Trim?

Well...

Yeah...

We made it pretty..
wink.png

We had to move some Daylillies today.. Yes... All different kinds.. Everything on the property is a unique type.. Well.. 95% of them. The center where the nest boxes will go was planted with dwarf coreopsis.
IMG_2987.JPG

I laid down cardboard as always, two layers thick and then laid stone around the edge, wrapping over to the front side of the coop.
IMG_2988.JPG

I'm really thinking of staining the coop a weathered wood gray color, so that it looks like it's been here forever. I like the color of old wood much more than the stark red of cedar stain.
IMG_2989.JPG

Closeup of the nest box area.
IMG_2990.JPG

Up by the coop door.. I did manage to rip down a 2x4 to make trim for the inside and got that in place, as well as planed down the side of the door so that it opens and closes easier.
IMG_2991.JPG

Shot of the chickens enjoying their food.
IMG_2992.JPG

IMG_2997.JPG

IMG_2998.JPG

Quote:
Sticky tiles stink! Our house came with these tiles and they came up almost right away. I would only suggest using them someplace you want a temp fix of the floor.

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom