Micro Farm Coop Worklog [UPDATE: SHINGLES ON - PAGE 27]

LOL... I never said it was easy. Just said that it was convenient after built.
wink.png

Really.. I screwed glued all my panels. Used exterior grade glue and screws and had two drivers standing by. I used a quick flip combo bit with counter sink drill on one end to pre drill all the holes and then assembled the panels on the basement floor.

Beyond making my hand hurt from all the drilling and screwing, it was the easy part. The thing that seemed to take the longest was ripping all the 2x4's in half and then cutting them to length. After that it was just picking a cut 2x2 from the parts pile and slapping it together.

However, after all the framing was built and dried, it got much harder to do as all the panels need painted.. Then messing with wiring each one was a huge pain in the hand. The wire is nice and tight though.. Can dang near bounce a quarter off it..

My run is only 8x16, so I only needed to do 10 panels as the rest attacked to the back of the coop.

Last edited:
OK...I'm only on page 3 so far and I am LOVING the detailed pictures. I'm showing them to DH as I go along and he's saying "yep, that makes a lot of sense" and that kind of thing, so we may really be ready for our 4 girls next spring! Woot! More praise to follow as I get further along...

*edit -

I'm on page 13 now, and I believe I am a victim of coop envy; ...still reading, and looking at the fantastically helpful pictures.

*and yet another edit-

I finally finished the thread, and can only say I am overwhelmed with all the work you've done! Beautiful, practical and very well done. Thank you so very much!

Last edited:
grandmaof5, thanks for the kudos.. Glad I could be of some inspiration.. or at least entertainment..
smile.png

Just incase anyone is wondering.. No.. I do NOT have shingles on it yet. I still hadn't been able to find the time to get them up over the weekends and the weather has not been so great anyway, with threats of rain and whatnot.

Need to get shingles on soon.. Only so long 30 weight tar paper can be exposed... Though it's a looooong time.. I don't like having it exposed.

I'd say it makes it a re-positionable run.. Where I can unbolt a panel and expand it or change the layout or location as I want or as the need arises.

Quote:
Yes, coop envy, that is a perfect way to put it.
My life would be so much easier if DarkWolf had this finished before I started mine!
wink.png

I've learned A LOT from this thread and from asking questions. I already know all the things I'm going to do "the right way" on my next coop and
I haven't even finished my first one yet!

DarkWolf, is that flashing on the edges of your roof?

Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil :

DarkWolf, is that flashing on the edges of your roof?

That'd be standard aluminum drip edge. You can pick it up at any BORG store.

roofDripEdges.gif

I could say "It's just a chicken coop" and say leave it off, but it protects the edge from water damage by making sure water drips away from the fascia/framing.

Really, you can leave it off so long as you leave a 1/2" overhang at the bottom of the roof line on the shingles.

I just like the practice since I'm going to be doing the garden shed, a greenhouse and possibly re-roofing my own house.. Though the house has alot of wonkey roof lines, so, practice is good.​

Thanks, I'm all for keeping water out!
I know what you mean about how easy it would be able to say, "hey, its just a coop". But when you build it right the first time you won't have to worry/repair for a long time!

Woot.. My position as BYCPA president is still secure... Coop roof is STILL not done and has remained the same way as I last posted.

Yup.. I procrastinate well.

Back
Top Bottom