Micro pigs?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by AHappychick, Jan 2, 2010.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I was reading an article about them and it said that those with allergies would not be allergic to a pig cause the skin and hair is so similar to ours. My ds is VERY allergic to dogs, and reading the article made me think that a micro pig might be a good idea for when, and if he ever wants a dog.

Anyone have them? pros and cons? I think they are the new "it" animal and all the celebs are getting them that being the case I bet there will be many up for adoption/rescue in a few years and I could get one that way. Although having a little piglet would be cool I prefer shelter rescues over buying a pure breed. (that rule does not apply to chooks though [​IMG] )

any suggestions or comments welcome.

Do we have any piglet breeders here on BYC?

2. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am a big fan of pigs, but they are not dogs. I think a lot of people get them and forget that a little pig is still a pig and will do pig things. They are strong and like to root around and eat things, they can be stubborn and are not the same as dogs. they also have a certain oder which some people like and other's don't. They are smarter than most dogs and can be good pets to people with the right expectations. Try to find someone who has one and spend some time with it to see if it would work for you. Not sure about the allergies....

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Is there really a miniature pig?

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I think couple years from now, they will be giving them away, they will go the route of Pot Belly pigs, suppose to stay small, but were overbreed to get as many as possible, no longer worrying about keeping them small. That is why you have so many potbellied pigs up for adoption now. Trade them in for the new pig, gotta keep up with the Jones you know.

5. Barred Rockstar

Barred Rockstar Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2009
    Humboldt County, CA
    I used to have a pot belly pig that was house trained. If you over feed them they can get pretty big, but they're much smaller than regular pigs. She was really smart, we taught her to sit, come, lay down, roll over, etc. She was very stubborn though, and could get a little moody around that time of the month. She eventually decided she would rather live outside with the other animals. (So she could eat their food.)[​IMG]

6. cwc362

cwc362 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
  7. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    My friend had a pot bellied pig, still does, he moved away some time ago and we lost touch. Well I figure if once we have a farm maybe I will look into it I was just curious about them and if anyone got pigs as an alternative for alergy reasons.

Paris Hilton has one, if I hold out I am sure hers will be available once it reaches 40lbs [​IMG]

yep Poulets De Cajun there are mini everything [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by