Mid January Hatch thread....

Wow, I admire your restraint!!!!! Not candling even once to this point?!
big_smile.png
That is admirable.

You didn't hurt them at all by taking the turner out and then putting it back in after a few hours. People who hand turn their eggs go several hours in between turns, so they're fine.

You could try candling now, but if things are going well, there wouldn't be a lot to see- just a very dark blob, and a clear air cell in the bottom.

Here's a link to a day by day candling progression pictures. I loved this, and referred back to it frequently.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation

I still can't believe I wrote the wrong date down
he.gif
and still have 3-4 more days to do on the 4 silkie eggs and 4-5 days after that for the turken eggs and here I was super worried when it was so cold last week that they might hatch and freeze because the bulb had burnt out. Oh well I guess that will teach me. I want to candle them tonight to check their progress but I'm afraid too since I wrote the dates wrong I don't want to disturb them just in case I wrote the date down right and they are just running a little late. What do ya'll think is it safe to candle or should I just leave them alone

I have 6 more days to go! My little OEGB are still going strong... I think one of the 4 RIR dudded out on me.... Course the one little fuzzy butt I have is really lonely. He just talks to me and tries to jump out when he hears me.......I keep telling it that it will be big sibling soon!

April

I ended up with 16 new baby Silkie chicks that hatched.

I had to help two of them out of the shell. All are doing well.

Now I sit and watch chick TV all day long.
pop.gif

I have 6 more days to go! My little OEGB are still going strong... I think one of the 4 RIR dudded out on me.... Course the one little fuzzy butt I have is really lonely. He just talks to me and tries to jump out when he hears me.......I keep telling it that it will be big sibling soon!

April

aawwww, I had a single OEGB cross hatch in October but he seems to like being a only he hangs out with the others and even "stole" a orange slice from one of my big Lav Orp boys it was so cute Biggy was distracted and little Gray just grabbed it right up and ran and he's been explore the yard more and getting further away from the coop everyday but always returns and roost nexts to his mom. I'm hoping that all 6 of the eggs my silkie is sitting on hatch

Ok, mrs. Impatient aka me, called son this a.m. Still nothing! On way home now but won't be home for 6 more hours. Just called my son back because I am having mental nightmares (humidity off, lid not on all the way, temp drop, accidentally unplugged, you name it I have thought it!) anyway, told son to go in and read me the temp. He says thermometers not in there! WHAT! Slaps hand to forehead! I must have left it out when I put them in lockdown. Anyway so I tell him to quickly lift the lid put the thermostat in and close lid and come back in an hour. Then I say, oh yeah, when you open it go "cheap" "cheap" to which my 16 year old proceeds to tell me Im the crazy chicken lady and hangs up on me lol!

Well less than a minute later he calls back and he cheaped! And when he did one of the eggs started rocking! And another one cheaped! Now let's pip and zip! We are half way thru day 21!

Woot!!!! They were totally waiting for you to come home! I bet they'll start pipping and zipping just in time for you to watch.

Alienchick, your silkies are so adorable!!! I love your little swimming pool idea. What will you do when they start jumping? Mine are a week old, and I'm already thinking I need to put the cover on my aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom